Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on “signing into you account…” updating Apple Watch 3 to WatchOS 8

I’ve repeatedly tried to update my watch 3 to WatchOS 8 but keep getting stuck at “Signing into your account. This may take a few minutes”.

I’ve seen others ask this but only seen replies (just linking to generic Apple support articles) that say to reset the watch and reset the phone, which I’ve done and had no success.

Anyone got a another solution other than “switch it off then switch it back on again”?

thanks

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 11:38 AM

After taking the "Set up as New" option (as Apple recommends for series 3) in the watch update process without success as mentioned above, I tried the "restore from backup" option instead, having decided to stick with WatchOS 7.4 rather than a wiped watch. After that finished I checked and it was upgraded to WatchOS 8.0.

Perhaps the new set up process requires one followed by the other, or it did succeed but there was no way to see it, but in the past you could just set it up as new.

Anyway its working well now, seems the common apps straight from the complications load quicker but that could be just to do with the reinstall.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 11:38 AM in response to JustoChacho

After taking the "Set up as New" option (as Apple recommends for series 3) in the watch update process without success as mentioned above, I tried the "restore from backup" option instead, having decided to stick with WatchOS 7.4 rather than a wiped watch. After that finished I checked and it was upgraded to WatchOS 8.0.

Perhaps the new set up process requires one followed by the other, or it did succeed but there was no way to see it, but in the past you could just set it up as new.

Anyway its working well now, seems the common apps straight from the complications load quicker but that could be just to do with the reinstall.

Oct 10, 2021 1:31 AM in response to JustoChacho

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software with not much space left for the update.So installing or even pairing to an ios14 or ios15 phone is proving nearly impossible for just about all the watch 3 users on this forum.

The same applies to Apple watch 1 and 2 they are almost impossible to either pair or update with an ios 14 or ios15 phone.

Your best bet is to call in at an apple store and ask them to update it for you.

Stuck on “signing into you account…” updating Apple Watch 3 to WatchOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.