Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail emails display no content when opened

I am using Mac Mail 14.0 with OS X 11.6 and iCloud. Often my mail messages, when opened, display no content, no text, no message, no attachments -- just absolutely empty. Complete restarting of the Mac sometimes seems to help, but not always. My internet connection is of medium quality (Comcast) but I detect no other possible internet issues when Mail acts up.

I'm foxed; any suggestions

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 10:59 AM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

My mail is very slow sometimes to populate the various mailboxes. Haven't figured out what is the cause of the slowness. I just lost it and then reopen and let it stand for a few minutes. I do have a lot of smart mailboxes which may be part of the problem.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2021 10:59 AM in response to BPWMorro

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

My mail is very slow sometimes to populate the various mailboxes. Haven't figured out what is the cause of the slowness. I just lost it and then reopen and let it stand for a few minutes. I do have a lot of smart mailboxes which may be part of the problem.

Oct 16, 2021 4:29 PM in response to Old Toad

Well, Safe Mode was a good try. After a couple of days though, the issue of an empty email, no content, has re-appeared. I would like to blame my ISP, but ... the problem seems exclusive to Mail. It occurs on two different Macs ... but doesn't seem to affect iOS devices that access the same iCloud mailboxes and web-browsing with Safari does not seem to be problematic. The problem is not unique to senders that are in my Contacts nor is it limited to those that are not in the Contacts. The problem is not unique to emails that have attachments or those that have no attachments. It does seem, perhaps, maybe, sorta kinda, limited to human, non-institutional, senders; I cannot recall it occurring with daily newsletters or other automated sends. I will try to see if I can find a pattern in the Senders' ISP addresses -- otherwise, it's just one of those %$^&# infernal intermittent issues. ("Wonky" seems a good description for many things nowadays.)

Take Care, Old Toad

QuietWalker

Mac Mail emails display no content when opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.