Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update, iPad crashes on YouVersion Bible app

Updated my iPad air 2 with 15.0.1 a couple days ago, every time I try to open the YouVersion Bible app, the iPad crashes and restarts. I've deleted the app, then reinstalled, deleted again. Powered down the iPad and tried other suggestions on iKream and still continues to happen. Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 11:56 AM

48 replies

Oct 14, 2021 11:05 AM in response to MichelPM

Yep, I tried all of this before I posted the question. I did receive another update notice (15.0.2) and was hoping that was the fix. The first time I tried opening YouVersion Bible app after doing the new update, it opened and then froze and then restarted the iPad. So, update did not help. I heard about the low storage before, but I have 28.5G used out of 64G. That doesn't seem low to me?? Are you thinking it was just coincidence it happened right after update to 15.0.1?

Oct 14, 2021 8:47 PM in response to TMorton100

I believe the issue is with You Version’s recent update. My wife’s iPad 4 updated the Bible app a couple days before the Apple update was available. The problem began at that point in time as described. My iPad had not yet updated the Bible app as verified by looking at the app version and going to the App Store and seeing that there was an update available. I choose not to update. Everything still worked on my iPad. The next day, Apple made available its update so we both updated our iPad OS hoping to solve the problem. The problem did not resolve on my wife’s iPad. Mine continued to run the Bible app. Tonight, I launched the Bible app and my iPad restarted. I verified that the Bible app had updated sometime in the past day and I am not experiencing the same issues. I have also already tried all of the mentioned remedies and then some to no avail and also have 15+ gig of available memory on both iPads. I believe the issue is with the recent app upgrade and not the OS based on the event timeline of out two iPad issues and their updates.

I haven’t found a way of communicating with the You Version app developers so hopefully Apple will.

Oct 24, 2021 6:09 AM in response to Holycow65

I found this online and my app is working for now:

App Crashing on Launch on iOS

Updated 1 year ago by Keiran Davidson

From time to time, you may experience a crash when trying to launch the Bible app. This issue will usually eventually resolve itself, but you can perform the following steps to attempt to immediately solve the problem:

1. Put your device into Airplane mode
  2. Open the Bible App
  3. Select More on the bottom navigation bar 
  4. Select Settings
  5. Select Sign Out in the upper right corner
  • This will sign you out of the app
  1. At this point take your device out of Airplane mode and sign back into your YouVersion account in the app
  • The app should now function as expected

If the above steps do not work, try the same set of steps without putting your device in to Airplane mode.If that still does not work, deleting and reinstalling the app may resolve the issue. You can download the app directly from here.

Oct 13, 2021 11:16 PM in response to Holycow65

After ANY iOS/iPadOS upgrade/update, you should ALWAYS perform a simple hard reset of your Apple mobile device.

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros, 2020 iPad Air 4 and 2021 iPad Mini 6 models.

1. Press and release the volume up button.

2. Then immediately press and release the volume down button.

3. Then, press and hold the single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

Oct 14, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Holycow65

Same problem here with my iPad mini 4. Tried all advices - delete - reinstall even erased my iPad, restored from backup - problem still here.

Wrote to technical support week ago - no answer. So far I can see that it’s connected to account content. One time I was able to sign out and app did work until I tried to sign in. And even it works on my iPhone though some content saved earlier on my account is not available now. It’s definitely problem with app maybe some server connection or some conflicts, idk. I hope the will start listen to people or might have to look for alternatives.

Oct 15, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Jwheneise

In my situation, my wife has not updated her iPad Air to the latest iOS but has updated the Bible apps most recent release and is having no issue at all. On my iPad Air, same model as hers, I have fully updated to iOS 15 including the latest release, as well as the Bible apps latest release, and it crashes every time. It seems to be an iOS issue in my case.

Oct 15, 2021 10:57 AM in response to iwasformedbygrace

Same here.

All of my familiy's iOS/iPadOS devices are running iOS/iPadOS 14.8 and the newest update to the YouVersion Bible app is still working as it should.

iOS/iPadOS 15, to date, IMHO, is just total rubbish.

I watched YouTube videos for months on the Beta versions and have NOT been impressed with many new things in iPadOS 15.

That is why is rushed to get all if my family’s devices all caught up on the very last update of iPadOS 14, so as to avoid iPadOS 15, for the time being.

If iPadOS 15 does NOT get any better by early 2022, I may just completely skip the version of iPadOS for all of my family's devices and wait it out to see if iPadOS 16 fairs any better.

I waited many versions of iOS, previously on my own devices as iOS 11, 12 and iPadOS 13 were, also simply rubbish versions.

iOS/iPadOS 14 has turned out to really be the only decent iOS/iPadOS version, so far, to date.

Anyhoo, none of our family is having any issues with the YouVersion Bible app.

This appears to be a strictly iPadOS 15 issue that Apple needs to resolve.

Oct 15, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Jwheneise

Jwheneise wrote:

I haven’t found a way of communicating with the You Version app developers so hopefully Apple will.

Apple does NOT get involved with any third party app developers

You can reach the Life.Church group by FB, Instagram or Twitter

OR

Leave a negative review of their app in the iOS App Store and post a description of the app issue with iPadOS 15.

Maybe the Life.Church developers of this app will see everyone's negative comments and comments about the app crashes and other issues with their app on the iOS App Store and address the issue that way.

I have left negative app reviews before, in the iOS App Store, when there are major issues with ANY app or app update, followed by an explanation of the app version issues.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 15, 2021 12:45 PM in response to Last_boy

I am on 14.8 with the latest version of the YouVersion app and it is working on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

My wife has an 8th gen iPad on 14.8 and the app is working just fine on both.

You need this app connected to WiFi to actually access the content.

Is your WiFi ON.

Try turning OFF both Airplane and Bluetooth modes.

If using iPadOS 15, are any of your using a VPN ( Virtual Private Network )

Try disabling it or, temporarily deleting it from your iPad.

Re-establish your WiFi connection.

If you choose, re-download the VPN and re-enable it and see if your WiFi connection stays consistently stable, or not.

Oct 15, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Holycow65

To Everyone,

You need this app connected to WiFi to actually access the content.

Is your WiFi ON.

Try turning OFF both Airplane and Bluetooth modes.

If using iPadOS 15, are any of you using a VPN ( Virtual Private Network )?

Try disabling it or, temporarily deleting it the VPN from your iPad.

Re-establish your WiFi connection.

If you choose, re-download the VPN and re-enable it and see if your WiFi connection stays consistent.

Try launching the Bible app, again.

This app is working on my iPad and on my wife's iPad with iPadOS 14.8.

This maybe a iPadOS 15 issue.

Oct 18, 2021 5:48 AM in response to Last_boy

I can confirm it's not connected to the account content. But It seems to be affecting older devices. I have an iPad mini 5 which remains unaffected. But my pastor's Air 2 is having the same issue although I removed all cache from the app.

After my attempt to login back to the app, the iPad restarted. This is not an issue with iOS version but the app itself.

After update, iPad crashes on YouVersion Bible app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.