Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command + C (copy) has switched on its own with Control + C and I can't change it back?

I'm not sure when/how this occurred, but for some reason Command + C is no longer working for "Copy" and same with Command + V, Command + S, etc.? Instead, I have to press Control + C if I want to "Copy." In essence, my command and control keys have switched on their own and I have no idea how to switch them back. I've already tried going to "modifier keys" in Settings and restoring defaults, as well as restoring defaults in the Shortcuts tab.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 4:54 AM

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Other troubleshooting steps:

Resetting the System Management Controller 

Reset NVRAM and PRAM

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 4:54 AM in response to Camilalvrz

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Other troubleshooting steps:

Resetting the System Management Controller 

Reset NVRAM and PRAM

Oct 11, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Camilalvrz

Camilalvrz wrote:

Hello,

Thank you so much for responding! I tried both of your suggestions (Checking whether this is occurring in a Guest account, and starting up in Safe Mode), and it's the same in both Guest and Safe Mode. It's really frustrating.

I'll try getting a report from EtreCheck shortly.

What keyboard localization are you using?

>System Preferences>Keyboard >Keyboard>Modifier Keys>Restore Defaults

Specify a keyboard type on Mac - Apple Support

Change Keyboard preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Command + C (copy) has switched on its own with Control + C and I can't change it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.