Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect MacBook Air 2017 to Dell P2721Q external monitor?

I just spent $90 to purchase a Thunderbolt 2 cable plus a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor to connect my MacBook Air 2017 to my new Dell P2721 monitor, and it doesn't work. Ideas? Troubleshooting? Novice here, so any advice or tips are appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 7:44 AM

Reeskers wrote:

I just spent $90 to purchase a Thunderbolt 2 cable plus a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor to connect my MacBook Air 2017 to my new Dell P2721 monitor, and it doesn't work. Ideas? Troubleshooting? Novice here, so any advice or tips are appreciated. Thank you.

You are not going to want to hear this, but you bought the wrong cabling and adapters.

Based on the specs on this page:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-27-4k-usb-c-monitor-p2721q/apd/210-axlt/monitors-monitor-accessories

your display has:

Input Connectors

1 x HDMI port version 2.0

1 x DisplayPort version 1.2

2 x High-Speed USB 2.0 downstream ports

2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 (5 Gbps) downstream ports

1 x USB Type-C (Alternate mode with DisplayPort 1.2, USB 3.2 Gen1 (5 Gbps) upstream port, Power Delivery PD up to 65 W)

The 2017 has:

• Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • Thunderbolt 2 port (up to 20 Gbps)

What you need is one of the following:

-MiniDisplay Port to DisplayPort cable

-MiniDisplay Port to HDMI

The 2017 does not support video on the USB ports. You can however, use a USB-A to USB-C cable to allow you access to the USB hub in the display.

Bottomline, you cannot make a single connection to your display nor utilize its power delivery functions.

Also, for the video connection, purchase only certified cables which will save possible issues.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Reeskers

Reeskers wrote:

You are not going to want to hear this, but you bought the wrong cabling and adapters.

Based on the specs on this page:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-27-4k-usb-c-monitor-p2721q/apd/210-axlt/monitors-monitor-accessories

your display has:

Input Connectors

1 x HDMI port version 2.0

1 x DisplayPort version 1.2

2 x High-Speed USB 2.0 downstream ports

2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 (5 Gbps) downstream ports

1 x USB Type-C (Alternate mode with DisplayPort 1.2, USB 3.2 Gen1 (5 Gbps) upstream port, Power Delivery PD up to 65 W)

The 2017 has:

• Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • Thunderbolt 2 port (up to 20 Gbps)

What you need is one of the following:

-MiniDisplay Port to DisplayPort cable

-MiniDisplay Port to HDMI

The 2017 does not support video on the USB ports. You can however, use a USB-A to USB-C cable to allow you access to the USB hub in the display.

Bottomline, you cannot make a single connection to your display nor utilize its power delivery functions.

Also, for the video connection, purchase only certified cables which will save possible issues.

Connect MacBook Air 2017 to Dell P2721Q external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.