Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 (2014) Battery, Worth Replacing?

Ever since 2020, ive been noticing my ipad battery doesnt last as along as it used to, (I was still on iOS 12 then), Now the battery drains so fast, Ive turned off mostly everything that can drain my battery (Background app refresh, Location services, etc..). On From Coconut Battery, on a Macbook, It says my iPad Battery health is at 66.2%, My iPad Can die on safari on the charger at 20% brightness, While writing this, my battry drained from 15%-4% in Six Minutes, On iPadOS 15's low power mode, while plugged in (Using the brick that came with the iPad). Im wondering if its worth replacing my battery for 129$ CAD. The only iPad I would consider upgrading to is the iPad Pro 9.7inch, since its the same size, The 10.2inch iPad is too big for me, and the Unlaminated screen is farr too distracting (tried at apple store), the iPad Mini, is too small, And the iPad Pro's/Airs are too big. What should I do? (apologies for this very long paragraph)

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 8:58 AM

What is the internal storage capacity of this iPad Air 2.

If it is a 16 or 32 GBs model, my opinion on this is it NOT worth the cost of battery replacement.

These low storage iPad models have very little, usable storage to make them useful for much.

Especially the 16 GBs model.

If your iPad Air 2 is a 64 or 128 GBs model, those models would be okay to spend the cost of the battery on.

Be advised that Apple stores DO NOT repair or replace batteries in iPads,

For the costs of a battery replacement, Apple will only offer a device replacement.

So, that means Apple needs to have your iPad year and model in stock for the in-store, battery device replacement.

Also, be advised, Apple from here on forward has stopped making iPads with 9.7 inch screens, so you have limited your choices for any future new iPad purchases.

Good Luck!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2021 8:58 AM in response to Carbonated_oxygen1

What is the internal storage capacity of this iPad Air 2.

If it is a 16 or 32 GBs model, my opinion on this is it NOT worth the cost of battery replacement.

These low storage iPad models have very little, usable storage to make them useful for much.

Especially the 16 GBs model.

If your iPad Air 2 is a 64 or 128 GBs model, those models would be okay to spend the cost of the battery on.

Be advised that Apple stores DO NOT repair or replace batteries in iPads,

For the costs of a battery replacement, Apple will only offer a device replacement.

So, that means Apple needs to have your iPad year and model in stock for the in-store, battery device replacement.

Also, be advised, Apple from here on forward has stopped making iPads with 9.7 inch screens, so you have limited your choices for any future new iPad purchases.

Good Luck!

Oct 11, 2021 8:59 AM in response to Carbonated_oxygen1

Your iPad Air2 is capable of running iPadOS15 - but being a relatively old model, is not going to provide cutting edge performance - or, necessarily all features of iPadOS15.

The Air2 is the oldest model of iPad that supports the current version of iPadOS - having the bare minimum hardware (2GB RAM) necessary to run this version of iPadOS. Whilst none of the contributors here have any insight into precisely when update support for the Air2 will end, you might consider its lifespan to be coming towards its twilight.

The cost of a battery replacement might be better used towards the cost of a modern replacement iPad, and one of which will considerably outperform your Air2. The entry-level iPad9 might be a good fit for your needs.

Oct 11, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Carbonated_oxygen1

If you decide to go down the path of purchasing used, secondhand Apple devices, here is how to avoid purchasing an Apple iOS/iPadOS device with user activation lock, in the future.

If you purchase any iPad, or any Apple iOS device, for that matter, used/second hand, online, or even in-person, make sure this iPad does NOT have user activation lock and has been properly reset for sale.

A properly reset for sale iPad should initially power up to an animated, multi-language “Welcome” screen.

DO NOT take the iPad seller's word that this iPad is user activation lock free!

We have seen plenty of used iOS device purchasers get scammed.

User Activation Lock can never be bypasss, circumvented or worked around IF there is no correct previous/original user information to be able to do so.

Apple doesn't get involved with ANY user activation locked, used/second-hand sold devices, either.

So, buyer beware!

If purchasing a used device in-person, power the iPad ON

If the iPad DOES NOT display the initial animated, multi-language “Welcome” screen, then pass on purchasing this iPad.

If the iPad powers up to any other screen, then forget purchasing this iPad.

You cannot trust that the seller actually has the correct needed info to properly reset the iPad back to factory settings right then and there before the actual purchase and exchange of money for the iPad, in question.

Pass on the device!

If you are purchasing this used iPad online ask the seller to provide multiple images, either online or be sent to you via email, showing this animated, multi-language “Welcome” screen of the interested in purchasing iPad model.

Even better, ask for a short video be sent to you showing this animated, multi-language “Welcome” screen, in action and in its entirety, posted to the online ad or emailed to you.

If the online iPad seller refuses any of these requests, pass on the iPad. DO NOT buy!

Good Luck!

Oct 11, 2021 9:10 AM in response to Carbonated_oxygen1

If your iPad year and model is a low storage device.

A 16 GBs storage iPad starts out, after initial drive formatting, at approx. 14.5 GBs of free, internal storage.

After the installation of iPadOS, at approx. 6.5 GBs, leaves 8.0 GBs of of free, internal data storage space.

iOS/iPadOS needs a minimum of 3-6 GBs of constant remaining storage, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to insure/ensure nominal, acceptable operation of all iOS/iPadOS functionalities.

This leaves a 16 GBs iPad with ONLY a practical, usable storage space of between 2 and 5 GBs AND THAT IS IT!

This is virtually NO internal data storage to do much of anything with that iPad!

This is why Apple quietly, silently did away with all 16 GBs iOS device back sometime in 2016.

A 32 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx 30 GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves between 23-24 GBs.

Minus 3-6GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 18-20 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

Even with 20 GBs of actual, usable internal data storage space in an Apple iOS/iPadOS device,

a 32 GBs data storage devices are, now, more quickly, becoming the “new” low storage 16 GBs internal data storage space devices, today, a 32 GBs Apple iOS/iPadOS device has 3-4 times the internal data storage space of older base model, low internal data storage,16 GBs. internal data storage Apple iOS/iPadOS devices.

In reality and in use, in 2021, a 32 GBs internal data storage device is kind of a joke and of limited usefulness, when up to 2TB of internal data storage ( approx. 1.8 TBs or usable internal data storage ) portable tablet devices exist today.

Apple just put an end to 32 GBs devices, in September 2021, with the base model iPad now offering 64 GBs of internal data storage ( approx. 50 GBs of actual, usable internal data storage ), which, for a few more years, anyways, has enough storage to make an iPad useful for longer period of time before data storage fills up.

Purchasing a low storage Apple device, to save on the cost of the device, is a false economy.

IMHO, not worth replacing the battery/device of a low storage 16/32 GBs iOS/iPadOS device.

Larger internal data storage capacity iOS/iPadOS devices.

A 64 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx. 60 GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves between 53-54 GBs.

Minus 3-6 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 48-50 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

At least a 64 GBs iOS/iPadOS device model offers some sufficient internal data storage that should last much longer than that of any 16 or 32 GBs device, today, in 2021.

A 128 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx.119 GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves between 112-113 GBs.

Minus 3- 6GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 108-110 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

256 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx. 238.5GBs., after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves 231.0 GBs.

Minus 3-6 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 224-228 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

Oct 11, 2021 9:24 AM in response to Carbonated_oxygen1

The 10.2 inch screen iPads are far superior, in performance, to your 7-year old iPad Air 2.

Also, the approx. 1/2 an inch longer screen on the diagonal is NOT, significantly, noticeable in everyday use.

AND really neither is the non-laminated display in normal use.

That tiny little air gap between the iPad glass and screen is THAT big a distraction for you?

I use both laminated and non-laminated display iPads and I do not see the slight air gap as a distraction in everyday use.

You are really short-changing yourself as the newest, 10.2 inch iPad 9th gen has a 7-year newer Apple A13 CPU, 3 GBs of internal RAM ( your iPad Air 2 and the 2016, 9.7 iPad Pro, you referred to, ONLY have 2 GBs of internal RAM ), highly improved, 12mp, front-facing FaceTime, CenterStage camera, TruTone room calibration display, 8mp back camera AND Pencil 1st generation support.

iPad Air 2 (2014) Battery, Worth Replacing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.