iPhone 13 Battery Health Drop

My iphone 13 battery health went from 100% to 99% after 3 months. Since last September 20 when I update to ios 16, my battery health is decreasing. Battery health has decreased by 4% in the last 20 days. Solve this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 7:08 AM

In last 2 months my battery health went from 100 to 93. It went from 95 to 94 in a week and then 94 to 93 in 2 days. We are being told that until its above 80% its fine. But the problem is that the rate at which it is declining, it won’t even be a year and it will be below 80%. That too when background refresh and notification are off for majority of apps, don’t play any games on it and also don’t have any social media except for whatsapp and linkedin. The most I do with the phone is spotify.

86 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 7:08 AM in response to kamrul420

In last 2 months my battery health went from 100 to 93. It went from 95 to 94 in a week and then 94 to 93 in 2 days. We are being told that until its above 80% its fine. But the problem is that the rate at which it is declining, it won’t even be a year and it will be below 80%. That too when background refresh and notification are off for majority of apps, don’t play any games on it and also don’t have any social media except for whatsapp and linkedin. The most I do with the phone is spotify.

Oct 12, 2022 1:35 PM in response to kamrul420

My iphone 13 battery health went from 100% to 99% after 3 months.

Your battery is doing fantastic. If your battery was average, it should have gone from 100% to 97% after 3 months......as mine has done.

You don't indicate how old your iPhone actually is, but if it is 6 months old at this time, and the Battery Health is 95%, you are still way ahead of the crowd.

You might want to consider sending flowers to Apple for your exceptionally good battery performance.

Jun 9, 2023 7:01 AM in response to sujayshah

sujayshah wrote:

September end last last year.

iPhone battery capacity drops an average of 1% per month. So it has been 8 months. Thus 93% is about where it should be.

Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

Once the capacity drops below 80%, or if there is a message in Battery Health that the battery is not meeting peak performance expectations, it’s time to change the battery→iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2022 1:22 PM in response to kamrul420

Hello, kamrul420.

The battery in your iPhone will age and at different rates, at different times. This is expected and does not indicate an issue with the iPhone or the battery. Typically, Apple advises replacement once a battery reaches less than 80% of its maximum capacity. Yours is still well above that. The screenshot shows it is working at Peak Performance, which is also a good sign.

Learn more about battery life and the expected chemical aging here: iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support.

Let us know if we can help with anything else at all. Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Jun 17, 2023 9:42 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hello Lawrence.

to keep my post short I avoided TMI. I’ll now expand on my original post.

If a Lithium-Ion battery is charged to 100% and then either not used immediately or lightly used so the charge state stays above say 90% for some time, the battery will prematurely age and it’s health will drop.

Apple acknowledges this here;

Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (UK)

see this statement;

Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.

This statement relates to storing a phone however in my opinion it is a disingenuous statement which only eludes to the truth. 100% is 100% and how long is storage for ‘some time’? If 10 days does some damage the surely so does 10 hours or even 10 minutes, obviously to a lesser extent but the cumulative effect will be similar.

A brief Google search will show many commentators who advise against 100% charging.

Perhaps it’s in a phone manufacturers interest to avoid the full truth in the interest of sales and replacements.

I’m an electronic engineer in Industrial Automation and Control where battery back-up systems (DC-UPS) utilising Li-Ion are commonly used.

I’ve also driven Tesla’s since 2016, my house is powered by Tesla Powerwalls and my wife drives another EV.

I have a huge investment in Li-Ion and consequently need to understand them.

I have made a study of maximising battery life and have investigated the chemistry and chemical reactions in Li-Ion batteries.

If you have been charging consistently to 100% I’m amazed that your battery health is still so high, perhaps the exception that proves the rule.

Thank you for your advice but I’d rather follow my experience.

Regards

Malcolm.

Apr 6, 2023 6:38 AM in response to kamrul420

I'd take the battery health indication with a pinch of salt. It might give you a very general idea of your battery's condition at a given point of time, but it's by no means a 100 percent reliable tool to measure the battery's performance and the speed at which it deteriorates in real time. That said, your battery health might have been below the level your iphone indicated for some time without you knowing it until it "woke up" and started catching up with reality. My iphone 13 lost 1 percent after the first 6 months. Previously, my iphone 11 was stuck at 100 percent for 12 months, before the battery health started going down. But when it did, it kept going down by 2 percent each month. So the best way to assess the battery health is to use your experience in every day use.

Jun 5, 2023 5:39 PM in response to TudorHH3000

TudorHH3000 wrote:

After roughly 3 months of usage the battery in my iphone 13 has been doing well and it is still at 100%.

Glad to hear it! What that probably means is that your battery’s maximum capacity started above 100%, but this screen doesn’t go higher than 100%. If you have a Mac the app Coconut Battery for Mac can tell you the actual maximum capacity.

Feb 14, 2024 8:16 AM in response to funsutton1

funsutton1 wrote:

I have had my iphone roughly one year and the battery health just now dropped to 99%. It's because I never keep charging the phone when it has reached 100%.

I set an alert on my phone when it reaches 100% and disconnect it immediately. I never charge it overnight and let it sit on the charger when fully charged.

Totally unnecessary. The phone itself has a charge monitoring chip in it, and stops charging at 100%. And it’s actually BETTER for the battery to leave it in after it stops charging, because that way the power to run the phone comes from the external power source rather than the battery.

Either you were just lucky that your battery exceeded the minimum capacity specification and started out life over 100% (probably around 110-115%), you use the phone very little, or your battery gauge is broken. If you have a Mac the app Coconut Battery can tell you details about the original battery capacity, the number of charge cycles, and the current state of the battery.

iPhone 13 Battery Health Drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.