Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clone hard drive

I have a mac book , it's a A1278 with a i7 cpu and 8 gigs memory. It works fine but I'm wondering if I can use my dock/cloner to clone the hard dive in the mac to a brand new SSD of the same size or larger? Is there anything special that has to be done to clone the mac ios to a new SS drive? I work with windows more that IOS and clone all the time . Thanks for the help

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 10:21 PM

Unless the drives you are cloning are identical sizes the cloning feature of those drive docks is worthless. I agree with @leroydouglas 100%. Make sure the destination drive has been erased using the same file system as the source before you use CCC to clone the drive. If you are cloning Big Sur, then things are a bit trickier since you will need to right-click or Control-click on the destination within CCC to select "Legacy booting option" (at least with v5 of CCC) after you have selected the destination location.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 10:21 PM in response to BruceMyers48

Unless the drives you are cloning are identical sizes the cloning feature of those drive docks is worthless. I agree with @leroydouglas 100%. Make sure the destination drive has been erased using the same file system as the source before you use CCC to clone the drive. If you are cloning Big Sur, then things are a bit trickier since you will need to right-click or Control-click on the destination within CCC to select "Legacy booting option" (at least with v5 of CCC) after you have selected the destination location.

Oct 14, 2021 9:17 AM in response to BruceMyers48

BruceMyers48 wrote:

I have a mac book , it's a A1278 with a i7 cpu and 8 gigs memory. It works fine but I'm wondering if I can use my dock/cloner to clone the hard dive in the mac to a brand new SSD of the same size or larger? Is there anything special that has to be done to clone the mac ios to a new SS drive? I work with windows more that IOS and clone all the time . Thanks for the help

ref:

Carbon Copy Cloner

Erase and format a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0

Oct 15, 2021 8:50 AM in response to BruceMyers48

After booting the macOS installer launch Disk Utility and erase the whole physical drive. If the drive has never been used before that will likely be the only item to select. If the drive has been used before, then you may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option) if you are installing macOS 10.13+. This is done a bit differently if installing older versions of macOS.

clone hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.