Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad is stuck verifying when I try to update to 15.0.2 (iPad Pro 9.7")

Everything had been fine up until recently. During the latest public beta some issues appeared where my iPad is no longer able to update. The update is downloaded fine and such, but it cannot verify it at all. Since I thought this is probably an issue with the beta, I dropped out from the beta program and restored it to stable, but the issue still keep happening on every update. First it was 15.0.1, now it's 15.0.2 and still can't verify update.

When I connect it to my Mac and try to update via Finder, it says my iPad software is up to date at iPadOS 15.0 even when there should be an update available.

I've tried restoring my iPad and am at a loss of what can I try next. This latest update contains some security updates, so I'm especially concerned to get this updated as soon as possible, but don't really know at the moment what can I try.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what I could try before I start considering having iPad examined at a repairs shop (if they can even do anything to something like this) or replaced I'd really appreciate it.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 7:53 AM

Well, I actually managed to find a workaround for this.

After searching for possible solution or at least some information if anyone else was having issues like this as well, I came across this MacRumors post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipados-15-0-1-software-update-failed.2314895/post-30423483

Apparently the solution to this issue was to just insert a sim card -- working or otherwise -- in the device before installing the downloaded update. At least it worked for me, although I'm not entirely sure why exactly.

Similar questions

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 7:53 AM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

Well, I actually managed to find a workaround for this.

After searching for possible solution or at least some information if anyone else was having issues like this as well, I came across this MacRumors post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipados-15-0-1-software-update-failed.2314895/post-30423483

Apparently the solution to this issue was to just insert a sim card -- working or otherwise -- in the device before installing the downloaded update. At least it worked for me, although I'm not entirely sure why exactly.

Oct 13, 2021 10:32 AM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

We have two iPad pros both cellular models but both have no cellular plan active. IPad A has a SIM card the other, iPad B has an empty sim slot. Both have iPadOS 15.0.0

iPad A was able to OTA update to 15.0.1 with no problem. IPad B got stuck on "verifying" after downloading and we tried everything from rebooting, deleting, and re-downloading the update, but always the same result: stuck verifying.

after deleting the update file in Settings>iPad Storage and hard rebooting, we took the SIM card out of iPad A (any correct size shape SIM card will do, working or not working) and putting in iPad B, we repeated the update steps and it worked as it should. Clearly, there is a bug in all this somewhere, but for now, we are updated and we didn't have to resort to PC to do it.

Oct 14, 2021 7:37 AM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

If you find that you can’t install on an iPad 10.5 Pro, try taking out the SIM Card Tray, I also could not install iPadOS 15.0.1 & 15.0.2. I saw a comment here that suggested putting in a blank SIM, however it appears that it is not the SIM Card - just the SIM Tray. Once it is opened, the 15.0.1 & 15.0.2 will then install.

Oct 14, 2021 1:47 AM in response to KeyResults

This works!! After many attempts, no joy, even using completely updated Mac to try and undertake the upgrade which failed. Was losing hope and because we live in country Western Australia, a trip to an Apple Store is a big ask! Something so illogical!! I had an old sim lying around and once I'd put that in my iPad Pro 2nd generation, the 'verifying update' was 15 seconds, the iPad restarted and upgraded fine all under 15 minutes.

Oct 16, 2021 5:42 AM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

I had the same iPad Pro 9.7 and and the same update problems. Tried all methods suggested online and through Apple Support App. The first time I went to Best Buy (Apple authorized) without an appointment and they did the update. The second time for 15.0.1 I made a Best Buy appointment (as Apple support suggested) and was charged $40 for the update. Then a few weeks later 15.0.2 came out! Same problems as others trying to update. So I let it go and left the red 1 stay on the settings app. I recently signed up for an esim T-Mobile prepaid cellular plan through my iPad Pro 9.7.

This Saturday morning I decided to try again to update to 15.0.2. IPad charged 100%. Plugged in. Wi-Fi + T-Mobile cellular on. I think this combo did the trick. The download was quick unlike before. The install a little longer but Iwas happy it reached the Apple screen with the. Bar moving. Slowly but moving. And finally my iPad Pro 9.7. Was successfully updated to 15.0.2. In the future I will wait a couple of weeks or longer before trying an update. I will have both Wi-Fi + Cellular turned on. And do it around 630 a. m. Knock on wood.

Oct 16, 2021 6:49 AM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

I have exactly the same issue with 15.0.1 which wouldn't work, and then 15.0.2. I tried deleting the update from the ipad, and restarting. I also tried the SIM tray out which didn't work (and I expect is a red herring). I don't have a spare SIM to use. My iPad Pro is 10.5 inch.

About > Software Update says the update is 443Mb, but when downloaded it is 640Mb.

I am trying now via the iTunes on PC.

Odd that iTunes (after an update itself) says it is downloading 5.01Gb iPadOS 15 update (when my iPad is on that OS).

First time around it failed with an Error 4000. PC and iPad rebooted and going through it again...

Second time Error 4000 again. (It says "extracting software...") and preparing to update, backing up (again!). Preparing ipad for update (again).

3rd time error 4000. None of the troubleshooting steps work.

So no idea what to do now.

Oct 22, 2021 9:58 PM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

Hello,

Thank you very much! Unbelievable, I've been trying everything I could to install the update for days, I even connected my iPad via hotspot: nothing!

I hadn't thought of such a solution, in fact, as soon as I removed the sim card holder (I use my iPad Cellular without a sim at the moment), the installation immediately started. Thanks for your helpful suggestion! Have a nice day. :-)

Oct 23, 2021 11:20 AM in response to kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy

confirmed user kytdluyfljyfliygöiyfliy solution with iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular (empty SIM tray)

iPadOS update stuck with "Verifying Update" status message

stays dysfunctional:

power-off

remove SIM tray

power-on

hit install for update

works with solution 'workaround':

power-off

install working SIM insert tray

power-on

hit install for update

done

Note: After another power cycle to remove SIM to return to cell phone, SIM/phone had to be reconfigured by carrier

My iPad is stuck verifying when I try to update to 15.0.2 (iPad Pro 9.7")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.