Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod will fail to play music via Siri after 15.0 update and using as default AppleTV speaker

My HomePods stereo pair was updated to 15.0, as was the tvOS on my AppleTV 4K. This causes a new bug: when I set my HomePods as the default speakers for the AppleTV, the HomePods will lose the ability to play back music via Siri request.

When I request music ("Hey Siri, play [something]"), Siri will say okay, and act as if it's playing. However, no music will be playing. After a minute or so, Siri will mention some "problem with Apple Music."

The only workaround is to ungroup the HomePods from the AppleTV, but then of course I cannot use them as the AppleTV speakers.

Has anyone had any luck solving this issue, or do we need to wait for Apple to fix this? Is this better in 15.1?

HomePod

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 7:27 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 13, 2021 3:29 AM in response to András Puiz

I don't have the hardware to replicate your setup, but I suspect I'd see the same if I could. When I was able to use the default audio output with my Apple TV 4 HD and OG HomePods it annoyed my that if I tried to use Siri to play music it would then wake up my sleeping ATV to show a Now Playing screen when I didn't want it to. Use Feedback - HomePod - Apple to suggest improvements.

tt2

HomePod will fail to play music via Siri after 15.0 update and using as default AppleTV speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.