Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message "iCloud Photos is only available on macOS Standard, macOS Extended and APFS formatted volumes."

I keep my photos on an external drive. The PHOTO app is directed to it.

I tried syncing it to iCloud for the first time and I receive the error message: "iCloud Photos is only available on macOS Standard, macOS Extended and APFS formatted volumes...."

I am working with macOS Big Sur 11.6

I read some blogs telling me to run the Utility Disk on the drives. It didn't work.

I would appreciate your help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 1:09 PM

What format *is* the drive? (Open up the info pane for the drive). If it is not APFS or MacOS extended then it is not compatible with a photos library.

You will need to move the library to a compatible drive. DO NOT reformat the drive (using disk utility) until you have moved the library since reformatting will erase everything on the drive.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 1:09 PM in response to Yaniv-P-UK

What format *is* the drive? (Open up the info pane for the drive). If it is not APFS or MacOS extended then it is not compatible with a photos library.

You will need to move the library to a compatible drive. DO NOT reformat the drive (using disk utility) until you have moved the library since reformatting will erase everything on the drive.

Message "iCloud Photos is only available on macOS Standard, macOS Extended and APFS formatted volumes."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.