Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brand new iPhone 13 pro max keeps randomly restarting

My brand new iPhone 13 pro max keeps randomly restarting. I’ve checked for updates and reset the phone and it still does it.

It’s really annoying. How do I fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 5:02 AM

How often does it happen? Go to your setting->privacy->analytics & improvements-> analytics data, you might have to scroll a bit but do you see any files with the name “panic-full”?

if so your phone is experiencing a kernel panic (like windows BSOD) which could be software or hardware related.

mine 13 pro did that, got a replacement phone and I still have issues. I think it might be a bug in my iCloud backup or an app causing the issue. Try wiping your phone and set it up as a brand new phone and use it for a bit to see if the random reboot still happens.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 5:02 AM in response to bls2014

How often does it happen? Go to your setting->privacy->analytics & improvements-> analytics data, you might have to scroll a bit but do you see any files with the name “panic-full”?

if so your phone is experiencing a kernel panic (like windows BSOD) which could be software or hardware related.

mine 13 pro did that, got a replacement phone and I still have issues. I think it might be a bug in my iCloud backup or an app causing the issue. Try wiping your phone and set it up as a brand new phone and use it for a bit to see if the random reboot still happens.

Oct 14, 2021 8:23 AM in response to bls2014

Salutations bls2014,

We understand that your iPhone is restarting unexpectedly during use. 

Please follow the steps in the article below. It has links that will also take you to other articles and depending on how the issue presents, possibly to Apple Support. 

If your iOS or iPadOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

Thank you. 

Jan 11, 2022 5:34 PM in response to bls2014

It is important to remember a kernel panic can be both hardware and software related. Unless it is an obvious hardware failure, I would try to work through any software issues first.

1) Update the phone to latest iOS, if the problem still persists...

2) Backup your phone via iCloud or computer, and do a clean install of the iOS via iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac), and then restore the backup from your new phone. Doing a reset of all settings or erase all contents and settings does not fully restore your phone to factory settings. And if you still have issues... https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201252

3) Try step 2 again but don't restore your backup for a few days and see if the problem still persists, to eliminate the possibility that the backup might have a bug in it or be corrupted in someway causing the kernel panic.

I would give those steps a go first before taking it back to Apple for them to run a hardware diagnostics.

Feb 8, 2022 4:09 AM in response to Jagoh6505

Mine is doing the exact same thing. I am just using my phone, then it freezes, turns pink, then shuts down. My analytics shows 7 entries for “panic-full” all from yesterday and today, when U started having the issue. It’s really odd, I have had this phone for a while and it’s just now started doing this. Did you ever find a solution?

Feb 18, 2022 10:44 AM in response to bls2014

My iPhone 13 Pro Max is doing the same thing.

Random restarts, pink screen on some restarts, other times it just turns off.

Took it the to the Apple Store yesterday. They replaced the "rear system". I then had to do a restore.

The tech said that means about the only thing that wasn't replaced was the display screen.

It has now been about 24 hours and no problems. I will update this post in about week or before if it starts happening again.

I first went to our Verizon store and they said they would replace the phone. But he said there is a chance I could get a refurb phone. So since it is still covered under Apple's first year warranty, he suggested I take it to the Apple Store first and see what they would do.

Will keep this post updated.

Feb 21, 2022 11:23 PM in response to jessica_1225

As I said in my previous post, Apple changed the "rear system" in my phone but did not replace the display.

So I have my old phone with new parts.

I have had no more problems since then. That was 4 days ago.

Verizon said they would replace the whole phone but it might be a refurb one. And recommend going to the Apple Store since the phone was only about 3 months old.

My brand new iPhone 13 pro max keeps randomly restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.