Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud+ Custom Email Domains: what, exactly, does this do?

I have existing mail hosting on a domain I own. I have personal and family email accounts setup there as well as some systems management addresses (webmaster@, etc.) I also use non-Apple devices and email client apps to get at these accounts via IMAP/POP3/SMTP in addition to having them setup in Apple MacOS and i*OS Internet Accounts. I don't use the Mail feature of iCloud.com, the website. I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, the iCloud+ Custom Email Domains feature gets me/what, exactly, the new iCloud+ Custom Email Domains feature does. Does it:

a) capture the DNS MX records so all SMTP mail gets delivered to iCloud Mail--making iCloud your @mydomain mail host for SMTP and IMAP/PoP3 setup on all non iCloud mail apps (and, implicitly, suggesting that all email for those domains is going to get sent to iCloud hosting, not just the addresses registered during the iCloud.com Custom Email Domain setup)? or,

b) configure your @icloud.com email to also fetch all your mail, via PoP3 to existing hosting, and send via SMTP, via existing hosting (similar to what Gmail does ("Send mail as"/"Check mail from") and what Outlook.Com used to allow)? or,

c) does it merely enable iCloud Mail to use existing mail hosting/storage via IMAP/SMTP so that you can see/send your custom domain email in iCloud.com mail similar to adding an Internet Account for mail in MacOS Mail, i*OS Mail?

Thanks for any clarification. I'd just go ahead and complete setting it up, but there are lots of other non-Apple/non-iCloud things that would get broken if it does a) or b)...

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:15 AM

I had read those previously.

The one I hadn't previously read, which is linked in the first one you cite, is Set up an existing domain with iCloud Mail which makes clear what this is all about--replacing existing mail hosting with iCloud mail hosting; my case a).

So, iCloud+ Custom Email Domains are clearly not for me since I have several hosted mailboxes in my domain that have ZERO to do with Apple Mail/iCloud Mail email clients and support functionality like forwarding, and, separately, many non-Apple/non-iCloud Mail email clients already using my existing hosting-provided IMAP/SMTP/PoP3 services. Not to mention lots of mail messages already stored in existing hosted IMAP folders.

There should be a support article or similar that describes the use case and implications of iCloud+ Custom Email Domains.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 11:15 AM in response to Eric_G1

I had read those previously.

The one I hadn't previously read, which is linked in the first one you cite, is Set up an existing domain with iCloud Mail which makes clear what this is all about--replacing existing mail hosting with iCloud mail hosting; my case a).

So, iCloud+ Custom Email Domains are clearly not for me since I have several hosted mailboxes in my domain that have ZERO to do with Apple Mail/iCloud Mail email clients and support functionality like forwarding, and, separately, many non-Apple/non-iCloud Mail email clients already using my existing hosting-provided IMAP/SMTP/PoP3 services. Not to mention lots of mail messages already stored in existing hosted IMAP folders.

There should be a support article or similar that describes the use case and implications of iCloud+ Custom Email Domains.

Oct 14, 2021 10:19 AM in response to Dick Watson

Hello Dick Watson,

We see you have a question about iCloud+, and we'd be happy to help out.

There are a few available links regarding the Custom Email Domain feature in iCloud+ which may help out to explain the service:

Add a custom email domain for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com

Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail

Personalize iCloud Mail with a custom email domain and share with family

We hope that helps a bit.

Take care.

iCloud+ Custom Email Domains: what, exactly, does this do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.