Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari takes a long time to start (Version 15)

After updating Safari to Version 15.0 (16612.1.29.41.4, 16612) it takes minutes to start the application. During this time Safari uses close to 100% CPU and is not responding.

After a couple of minutes things seems to work as normal. Although sometimes I can feel that the computer becomes a bit "sluggish", often with many Safari windows open (don't know if that's normal or not). I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with plenty of memory so the hardware should not be a problem.

Has anyone else seen this? Any clue on what to do? I've disabled all extensions but that doesn't help.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 9:27 AM

For further troubleshooting check/test in safe mode as well, see if you have same kind of issue.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

NoteSafe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2021 9:27 AM in response to dkire

For further troubleshooting check/test in safe mode as well, see if you have same kind of issue.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

NoteSafe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Oct 13, 2021 10:24 AM in response to dkire

There have recently been many reports of a broad range of new problems on this support site about the latest release of Safari v15. It is included in the downloads for Big Sur and Catalina. If you are experiencing these problems, you can use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome and they will work for you until a newer version of Safari is released.

I have read here that Apple's support people have a link to reinstall Safari and that doing so often fixes the problem. You might check with them.

Safari takes a long time to start (Version 15)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.