Safari 16.6 crashes on launch with Ventura 13.5.1

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.WebBookmarks.bookmarksCollectionQueue

Safari fails to launch in safe mode

I have re-installed OSX - no change

I remember getting the same issue under Monterey - re-install of OSX fixed the issue then, but not now.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated

Model: MacBookPro16,1, BootROM 1968.140.7.0.0 (iBridge: 20.16.6072.0.0,0), 8 processors, 8-Core Intel Core i9, 2.3 GHz, 32 GB, SMC

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 6:32 PM

Safari may be crashing when attempting to open one or more previously opened websites. If you press and hold a Shift key when launching Safari from Applications or the Dock, it will open Safari to your chosen selection in its "New windows open with" setting: Change General preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support.

You can release the Shift key when Safari opens, or crashes.

Once you successfully open Safari isolate the crash to one or more of those previously opened websites.

You can also try clearing Safari's history and / or website data:

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 6:32 PM in response to padraig123

Safari may be crashing when attempting to open one or more previously opened websites. If you press and hold a Shift key when launching Safari from Applications or the Dock, it will open Safari to your chosen selection in its "New windows open with" setting: Change General preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support.

You can release the Shift key when Safari opens, or crashes.

Once you successfully open Safari isolate the crash to one or more of those previously opened websites.

You can also try clearing Safari's history and / or website data:

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2023 10:42 AM in response to padraig123

Left out some important context, the original issue began when I installed Monterey, but was resolved by re-installing OSX

The current problem began when I upgraded to Ventura two days ago, and has not been resolved by re-installing OSX

Ran Etrecheck, and it found no major issues, just reported what I already knew, although it is interesting that bookmark sync is running high cpu and crashing constantly.

2023-08-30 13:00:20 Safari - Crash (21 times)

Executable: /System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app

Details:

libsystem_c.dylib: abort() called

2023-08-30 11:52:39 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent - High CPU Use (40 times)

Executable: /Library/Apple/*/SafariSupport.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SafariBookmarksSyncAgent

Details:

libsystem_c.dylib: abort() called

I've seen posts about disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP), trashing SafariBookmarkSyncAgent, and then re-enabling SIP - think I should give that a go?

Aug 30, 2023 11:25 AM in response to padraig123

I've seen posts about disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP), trashing SafariBookmarkSyncAgent, and then re-enabling SIP - think I should give that a go?

Considering the alternatives, in addition to everything else you already tried, why not. I can think of worse things to do. I guarantee they will all be more time-consuming with no guarantee of success.

Don't do anything without a backup; just goes without saying.

... is there any way I can downgrade Safari alone?

Nope. It's tightly integrated with everything else in macOS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.