Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access certain websites

Good afternoon,

About 2 weeks ago I started getting an error message when opening certain websites.

The message says 'Your connection is not private' Attackers might be trying to steal your information, and then NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

My computer is the only one in our house that has this issue.

I've done all the things folks recommend - cleared my cache, history, etc

Restarted my computer

Same message.

It's only certain sites but always the same message.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:55 AM

Are you saying other systems in the house can access the same sites? I ask because the error message indicates a problem with the site you're trying to access not with anything on your system itself (and therefore not something you can control).

This is indicated by the error message: NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

It means the site is using an expired SSL certificate and Safari, by default, will not connect because it's untrusted.

In the error dialog you should be able to expand the error message to show more details about the SSL connection, and that might help validate this theory.

The only other case I can think of would be if the date on your system was incorrect - if your system thought it was 1970, for example, then it might complain about accessing a site whose SSL certificate is valid from 2019 through 2022.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 11:55 AM in response to Zim123

Are you saying other systems in the house can access the same sites? I ask because the error message indicates a problem with the site you're trying to access not with anything on your system itself (and therefore not something you can control).

This is indicated by the error message: NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

It means the site is using an expired SSL certificate and Safari, by default, will not connect because it's untrusted.

In the error dialog you should be able to expand the error message to show more details about the SSL connection, and that might help validate this theory.

The only other case I can think of would be if the date on your system was incorrect - if your system thought it was 1970, for example, then it might complain about accessing a site whose SSL certificate is valid from 2019 through 2022.

Oct 15, 2021 1:39 AM in response to Zim123

If this computer Qualifies for a Newer Version of macOS, like High Sierra, this issue may be easily fixed.

The upGrade process involves as per below.

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

Oct 14, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Zim123

Thank you SO much for replying.

Yes, that's correct. My husbands computer can access the sites that my computer cannot.

I seem to recall changing a security setting on my computer and for the life of me, I don't know what I may have done, but seem to feel it's since I did that.

The expiration on the certificate January 3 2022 for the one specific site I know isn't working on my computer.

Not sure any of this helps, but I appreciate you taking the time to even respond!! Thank you.

Nov 2, 2021 4:24 AM in response to Camelot

An update is that this is mostly happening in Chrome vs Safari. If I copy and paste the same site in Safari, I'm asked if I want to see the 'certificate' and if I click yes, it says continue and the site comes up. This offer doesn't happen in Chrome. Wondering if that adds any light on what could be the reason.

Thanks in advance.

Cannot access certain websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.