Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS won’t update because my cellular is broken but my cellular is broken because my phone isn’t updated

My phone won’t update because my cellular is broken but my cellular is broken because my phone won’t update

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 9:16 PM

ryanne317 Said:

"My phone won’t update because my cellular is broken but my cellular is broken because my phone won’t update"

-------

Updating Over Cellular:

You can only update over cellular using an iPhone 12 with 5G. So, updating over cellular is not an option.

See Here: Use an iPhone 12, that is using 5G in order to update over Cellular - User Tip

So, What to Do:

To Check for Updates:

Use a Computer and Ethernet:

Start with attempting an update through use of a computer. If you cannot use Wi-Fi, then use Ethernet.  Go Here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. On the computer, you would connect it through Ethernet, going directly into your router. For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple. If you get the same error, the model is likely just not compatible.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2021 9:16 PM in response to ryanne317

ryanne317 Said:

"My phone won’t update because my cellular is broken but my cellular is broken because my phone won’t update"

-------

Updating Over Cellular:

You can only update over cellular using an iPhone 12 with 5G. So, updating over cellular is not an option.

See Here: Use an iPhone 12, that is using 5G in order to update over Cellular - User Tip

So, What to Do:

To Check for Updates:

Use a Computer and Ethernet:

Start with attempting an update through use of a computer. If you cannot use Wi-Fi, then use Ethernet.  Go Here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. On the computer, you would connect it through Ethernet, going directly into your router. For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple. If you get the same error, the model is likely just not compatible.

iOS won’t update because my cellular is broken but my cellular is broken because my phone isn’t updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.