Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete disk consequences partitions

Hi,

In orde to create a bootable installer I have to reformate my drive. This drive has 2 partitions (mac and windows) but only one is shown in the Disk Utility Program. If I remove this partition in order to format to GUID-partition, will this effect the "windows partition" of my external hard drive?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 5:03 PM

You need to use an external drive for the macOS installer. If the external drive already has a GUID partition, then you just need to erase the one partition/volume. However, if the USB drive does not have a GUID partition, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive. Make sure any data on both partitions is backed up before you attempt to erase the partition/volume or drive. It would be safer if you just used a USB stick instead.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 5:03 PM in response to Heckkie

You need to use an external drive for the macOS installer. If the external drive already has a GUID partition, then you just need to erase the one partition/volume. However, if the USB drive does not have a GUID partition, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive. Make sure any data on both partitions is backed up before you attempt to erase the partition/volume or drive. It would be safer if you just used a USB stick instead.

Delete disk consequences partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.