Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to use an ‘exclusion’ based approach to contacts and apps in focus mode?

I really like the promise of the new ‘focus’ options in iOS 15, including the ability to have a number of controls over notifications and customised display of app pages depending on which mode is selected.

For me, the promise of this is less about maintaining ‘focus’ and more on maintaining wellbeing. In the context of the pandemic, I’m trying to use focus modes with time triggers for work hours, after work, sleep and weekends.

Only, this is all reliant on a more ‘exclusion’ approach to the way I choose what can be present (rather than the ‘choose who and what to include’ default framing of how the focus modes are designed).

For me, this means that I simply want to *reduce* the presence of certain things on my device outside work hours: excluding certain contacts, excluding notifications from certain apps, and even excluding a whole app page on my homescreen containing work-related apps.

This currently feels pretty hard to achieve. It’s not like I can bulk select the majority of my contacts to be allowed within a certain focus mode, and the same situation is true for selecting the allowed apps. All of the nuances around the type of notifications that are allowed for specific apps gets very complicated.

Has anyone found a better way to do this? I want it to feel like I’m interacting with a different device during work hours to the one I interact with when not at work. And to do it easily based on simply excluding a few things as I need to. Is this part of the future roadmap of these features for Apple?

iPhone X

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 1:46 PM

I agree here. I feels this feature has been overly complicated. For me, I just want an easy method to exclude certain apps and people outside working hours. Focus works on an exclusion-first basis meaning you have to select everything and everyone you want to include. I think this should be switched - assume inclusion then allow users to exclude. For most people the exclusions will be less than so easier to configure.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 1:46 PM in response to northonm31

I agree here. I feels this feature has been overly complicated. For me, I just want an easy method to exclude certain apps and people outside working hours. Focus works on an exclusion-first basis meaning you have to select everything and everyone you want to include. I think this should be switched - assume inclusion then allow users to exclude. For most people the exclusions will be less than so easier to configure.

Oct 17, 2021 3:02 PM in response to northonm31

Hello northonm31,

We see you have a question regarding the Focus feature, and we'd be happy to assist.

This page here helps to explain all about how the feature currently works: Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

The available option at the moment is to allow notifications from specific apps and people that you've chosen, as well as the option to set up which Home Screen pages show up during the focus.

If you find that things may not work as you'd like, and have feedback that you'd like to share, the best place to do so would be on Apple's dedicated feedback site here: Product Feedback

Cheers.

Is there a way to use an ‘exclusion’ based approach to contacts and apps in focus mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.