Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't text some people on Mac that can text on iPhone

Can find any pattern to it. There simply are some numbers that when I enter the name in Message that appear in Red. Message doesn't send or receive from them. however, text to same person and same number works on iPhone.

In general a lot of what Apple has on website about Message doesn't appear on my Mac. In Messages Preferences, no Option to “Enable Messages in iCloud” or to Sync Now in Settings pane. My Messages version is 14.0. Latest?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 1:11 PM

Not sure if this will help, but have a look at this checklist for messaging to/from your Mac:

iMessage checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number. This is important for reaching some people via texts from the Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2021 1:11 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

Not sure if this will help, but have a look at this checklist for messaging to/from your Mac:

iMessage checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number. This is important for reaching some people via texts from the Mac.

Oct 17, 2021 12:30 PM in response to PRP_53

Don't see how setting up Cloud would solve or even address problem of Messages on my Mac not working for some people but Messages on iPhone works for them.

In fact, when go to Preference on MBP>Apple ID>iCloud>Apps using iCloud, Messages isn't even on list to add to iCloud.

I can turn it on my iPhone, but Messages is working for all recipients in Contacts on the iPhone.

I'll admit I don't trust iCloud. A few years back iCloud double and then triple every contact in Contacts. Even deleting iCloud for Contacts so that only had a single set of contacts, Contacts hasn't worked since then. Almost every key stroke, gets the spinning back. Syncing Contacts between MBP and iPhone rarely works, even when connected via hardwire.

Oct 17, 2021 2:00 PM in response to steve626

Thanks Steve, Constructive things to do. Almost everything had been set as you suggested. (only one I couldn’t find was “iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.”)

But afterwards, send messages to 3 friends I could text from iPhone, but not MBP, and each was sent and received. Maybe it was toggling Messages on and off? Or signing of and in of account? Although both steps on iPhone, somehow could have fixed Messages on MBP. Somethings on computers I will not understand.

Thanks again for help.

Can't text some people on Mac that can text on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.