Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conflict between Apple Music and iTunes

I've been having a VERY weird issue. Apple Music somehow messed up my music collection.

So, here's the full story - I have an extensive music collection in my music app including imported files, iTunes Store purchases and albums from my Apple Music subscription. Recently I made the decision to convert my collection to the AIFF format. I selected all my imported music, and also my iTunes Store purchases. I clicked convert. In hindsight, this was a very stupid move, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

Somehow the iTunes albums became unplayable. The Apple Music ones gave me an error when I tried to convert them, so I deselected those.

I thought, "not to worry. I'll just delete and redownload the albums". Here's where the weird issue comes in. The store keeps glitching out when I try to re-download them. Sometimes only a part of them gets downloaded. Sometimes, the purchases get hidden automatically. When the albums do download completely, they get downloaded in the "HLS media" format instead of the usual AAC. To make matters worse, the right-click> show in finder button has disappeared entirely.

I have noticed that these issues also occur on my iOS devices as well, and not just my computer. That's how I know that it's not an issue with my devices/software, but with my Apple Music subscription.

I have found a temporary workaround by deleting the albums completely from my library, hiding the purchases, and using the versions on Apple Music. This works, but I'm really uncomfortable with not having my purchased music at a click's distance.

So, for the love god, someone PLEASE help me! This is driving me crazy!

PS- In case you're wondering, I've learned my lesson. Don't delete albums from the library when an Apple Music subscription is active.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 1:20 AM

Solved! The answer was to turn off lossless in Music preferences. Now my purchases are fixed.

Similar questions

1 reply

Conflict between Apple Music and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.