Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Library Problems (iCloud duplicates library)

I am so angry with Apple/iTunes right now. If I didn't have so much money invested in my iTunes music library I would never use an Apple product again. I don't know how to explain this. I have a library of over 10,000 songs. My music is at least 95% PURCHASED. I don't back it up to the Cloud (sorry, but I don't trust the Cloud). There were maybe 2 albums worth of music that I had listened to using iTunes Music existing currently in my music library. Generally, I give it a listen on Music then if I like it, I delete, purchase and keep the download on my computer so I can listen to it on my iPod Classic. All this to say that I logged on today to find that iTunes has, on its own, "backed up" my library and re-added from the Cloud everything that I have already purchased and downloaded onto my computer. If I changed a genre or an artist name or whatever, that song is duplicated (So, for example, if I downloaded Jingle Bells by Unknown Pop Tart and changed the genre from Holiday to Christmas so all of my Christmas music was together, I now have 2 of them). When I tried to get rid of the duplicate which still has a little cloud symbol to say "download from the Cloud", it wipes out BOTH. When I tried to download and then remove the duplicates, it still wiped out both. I've already lost music on my computer which I will hopefully be able to recover when I sync my iPod but that's not going to happen until I can fix this. How am I supposed to get rid of these stupid duplicates??? I am furious to have had YEARS of work wiped out. (The subscription to iTunes Music is free, but I am getting rid it. I'm going back to old-fashioned ordering CDs from Amazon. Enough of this garbage). And it really doesn't help that Apple makes their customer support next to impossible.

iPod Classic

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 1:15 PM

See the first paragraph in Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community. You should be able to restore purchases that you've hidden in error.

tt2

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 25, 2019 3:28 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you. Unfortunately, any articles I originally found weren't pinpointing the problem to the iCloud Music Library and were just recommending the use of the "Show duplicate items" menu under File -- Library, regardless of using "iCloud" and other relevant search terms in my search. I knew that had nothing to do with the problem. So, mostly solved, but not quite. Some purchased files still have the download symbol beside them even though they are already downloaded and living on my computer. And I still have to re-organize most of my music library back to what I want but I am much better off and much less frustrated than I was before. Thanks again for the help.

Sep 25, 2019 4:15 PM in response to turingtest2

Actually, I spoke too soon. My problem isn't solved at all. I did exactly as the article recommended. I verified that the iCloud Music library was turned off. I logged completely out of iTunes. Looking at my library, on first glance, under the first artist it seemed to be fixed. But no such luck. Now some albums have 3 copies of each song, others have 2. And some still have the cloud symbol, but instead of it appearing beside each song it's at the album title. Some copies of the song are greyed out in the list. So, I tried deleting the greyed out copy of the song. You would think that what was greyed out would be the "bad" copy. Nope. Won't play. Restored them. The greyed out song is the one that will play on iTunes, and the other one will not. Now I get the fun of going through my entire library to see if I can restore my library to a usable state. And I've already spent close to 4 hours on this. I've had iTunes since the beginning and though I have had the occasional problem, I've managed to solve them up until now--Is this what the future holds once they make their switch and completely shut down iTunes? Unbelievable. As of now, my music that I've paid thousands of dollars for over the years is currently unusable. I appreciate that you tried to help, but it didn't work.

Sep 25, 2019 5:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Can't argue with you--Definitely a problem somewhere. But I really do appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. And I have all the information you provided saved in case something like this happens again. Gives me a good starting point to solve the next iTunes catastrophe! I apologize if I took any frustration out on you--Having "one of those days" and this was the just the last straw. Cheers, and thanks again for you help--You're great ... iTunes, not so much at the moment :)

Itunes Library Problems (iCloud duplicates library)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.