Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't sync now that I have Apple Music

I have about 20,000 songs in iTunes stored on my computer, mostly from hundreds of CDs I own, some from Apple, some from Amazon, and other sources.

I recently subscribed to Apple Music. Everything that was in my iTunes library is still on my devices and usable. However, I recently bought a couple CDs and added them to iTunes. These are albums that are not available through Apple, Amazon, or other services. The are in iTunes and will play locally but will not sync to my devices and are stranded in iTunes.

I used to be able to go into the music settings on the device when it's connected to iTunes and check or uncheck what I wanted to sync. That option is gone now and all I see is a notice that iCloud music library is on.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 12:55 PM

Hi Tanelorn,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have some songs in iTunes on your computer that are not available on Apple Music and you would like to sync them with your iPhone.

You're on the right track since you will need to sync these songs using iTunes. However, when you use Apple Music to keep your content up-to-date across all devices, some syncing features are not available in iTunes. You can disable Sync Library temporarily and sync with iTunes if you choose. Check out Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer for further information and guidance if needed.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Tanelorn

Hi Tanelorn,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have some songs in iTunes on your computer that are not available on Apple Music and you would like to sync them with your iPhone.

You're on the right track since you will need to sync these songs using iTunes. However, when you use Apple Music to keep your content up-to-date across all devices, some syncing features are not available in iTunes. You can disable Sync Library temporarily and sync with iTunes if you choose. Check out Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer for further information and guidance if needed.

Have a great day!

Oct 7, 2021 4:27 PM in response to faith185

Thanks, this did work.

I went into Settings on my iPhone, then Music app, then turned Sync Library off. This removed all Apple Music downloads from my library. Then all my sync features were available again in iTunes just like normal.

After iTunes sync was done I turned Sync Library back on, which added all Apple Music downloads back to my library. It feels like some wasted steps (and data from removing and restoring files) but it did work as intended.

iTunes won't sync now that I have Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.