Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library not syncing with apple music

I have lots of cds I own that I ripped into my iTunes account. Now it is Apple Music. They show up on my iMac and my MacBook Air but not on my iPhone 12 or my iPad. There is no option in the settings for Apple Music to sync as previous discussions suggested. Everything in my iCloud is synched besides this music. I don't want to have to subscribe to Apple Music to see my own albums and music. Suggestions?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 7:58 AM

Hello rosie trill,

You can use the steps below to sync content to your iPhone and iPad via Finder:

1. Connect your device to your Mac.

You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.

2. In the Finder  on your Mac, select the device in the Finder sidebar.

A device selected in the Finder sidebar.
If you connect your device to your Mac using a USB cable and don’t see the device in the Finder sidebar, see If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar

3. Click the type of content you want to sync in the button bar.

The button bar showing the General button and buttons for contents such as music, movies, TV shows, and more.
Note: If you use iCloud Photos and Apple Music, your photos and music are synced automatically using iCloud. When you click Music or Photos, no options appear for syncing.

4. Select the “Sync [content type] onto [device name]” checkbox to turn on syncing for that type of item. For example, select the “Sync movies onto [device name]” checkbox to sync your movies.

“Sync Movies onto [device]” checkbox is selected. Below that, is the “Automatically include” checkbox is selected, and “all” is chosen in the pop-up menu.
With the checkbox selected, syncing is set to transfer all items of that type to your device. 

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each type of content you want to sync.

The bar at the bottom of the window shows how much free space remains on your device after you sync. Move the pointer over the bar to view details about the content you’re syncing.

6. When you’re ready to sync, click Apply.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Hopefully that puts you on the path to syncing your music to your devices.

Take care.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 7:58 AM in response to rosie trill

Hello rosie trill,

You can use the steps below to sync content to your iPhone and iPad via Finder:

1. Connect your device to your Mac.

You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.

2. In the Finder  on your Mac, select the device in the Finder sidebar.

A device selected in the Finder sidebar.
If you connect your device to your Mac using a USB cable and don’t see the device in the Finder sidebar, see If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar

3. Click the type of content you want to sync in the button bar.

The button bar showing the General button and buttons for contents such as music, movies, TV shows, and more.
Note: If you use iCloud Photos and Apple Music, your photos and music are synced automatically using iCloud. When you click Music or Photos, no options appear for syncing.

4. Select the “Sync [content type] onto [device name]” checkbox to turn on syncing for that type of item. For example, select the “Sync movies onto [device name]” checkbox to sync your movies.

“Sync Movies onto [device]” checkbox is selected. Below that, is the “Automatically include” checkbox is selected, and “all” is chosen in the pop-up menu.
With the checkbox selected, syncing is set to transfer all items of that type to your device. 

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each type of content you want to sync.

The bar at the bottom of the window shows how much free space remains on your device after you sync. Move the pointer over the bar to view details about the content you’re syncing.

6. When you’re ready to sync, click Apply.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Hopefully that puts you on the path to syncing your music to your devices.

Take care.

Jan 17, 2023 7:05 PM in response to rosie trill

Hello rosie,

We understand you have an issue with using your Apple Music from the Mac to your iPhone or iPad.

Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support with the quoted steps below:

How to turn on Sync Library on your Mac
1. Open the Apple Music app.
2. In the menu bar, choose Account and make sure that you're signed in with the same Apple ID that you use with your Apple Music subscription.
3. Choose File > Library > Organize Library. Then select Consolidate files.
4. Choose Music > Settings or Music > Preferences.
5. Click the General tab.
6. Select Sync Library.
Preferences showing Sync Library turned on

7. Click Ok.
8. Wait for your music library to sync. To check the status, go to the bottom of the sidebar and click Updating Cloud Library.
9. Turn on Sync Library on your other devices.

If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

1. On your Mac, open the Apple Music app. On your PC, open iTunes, choose Music from the pop-up menu, then click Library.
2. In the sidebar, select Songs.
3. In the menu bar, choose View > Show View Options.
4. Select Cloud Status and Cloud Download.
Look for the following statuses next to your songs to learn what to do.
Apple Music app showing Cloud statuses next to songs

We hope this helps.

Jan 18, 2023 6:20 AM in response to nick_h2

Unfortunately, the first screenshot is not available to me. Here is a screenshot of what I get. The popup box says the sync function is only available to signed in subscribers to Apple Music or iTunes Match. I do not want to pay a monthly or annual fee to access music I have already spent hours ripping to my imac. I can only see the ripped CDs on my MacBook Air and my iMac, not on my iPhone 12 mini nor my iPad - which is where I would like them, so I can use CarPlay while driving my car.

iTunes Library not syncing with apple music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.