Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased Album, All songs in iTunes, None Hidden, Same Apple ID, Songs Missing for Download on iPhone Music from Cloud

I have an album I purchased many, many years ago: The Essential Dean Martin

The entire album, all 30 songs, appears in my iTunes library on my computer.

The entire album, all 30 songs, appears in the iTunes STORE, available for purchase as a whole album, or individually song-by-song - either way. I would like to think that this shouldn't matter since I bought and paid for it a decade ago and you shouldn't be editing out what an album consisted of, anyway. But I still checked to make sure that these songs show up in that album.

On my iPhone, under the "Music" app, I can find the album. It lists all of the songs except for 2 available for download from the cloud. It is missing 2 songs for download from the cloud from the album: "Mambo Italiano" (song 11 in the iTunes library) and "Return to Me" (song 20 in the library).

On the phone, the songs are numbered 1-30, but skips from 10 directly to 12, and from 19 directly to 21. (In the iTunes Store, these are numbered as songs #1 and #10, respectively, on what would be "disc 2" if this were a physical album, but it's not one, and they don't get numbered that way in iTunes or on the phone in any event)

I have checked my account information, and on the screen where it says "iTunes in the Cloud", there is a section labeled "Hidden Purchases". I click on the "Manage" link. For the "Music" section, under both "Albums" and also for "Songs", it says "You have no hidden music purchases". So the songs are not hidden for download.

I am signed into both the computer and the phone using the same Apple ID. I've confirmed that, and also my phone asked me to confirm that I even could sign into this community forum from my computer. iTunes is showing the apps I've recently downloaded to the phone, etc.

I do not have an Apple Music subscription. I would like to think I shouldn't need one to listen to music I've outright purchased.

So, why are these two songs missing from the cloud for download to my phone when I've purchased them previously, they are still available for purchase, they are not hidden, and all of this was done using the same Apple ID?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 11:28 AM

Nevermind. It turns out that all that has to happen is for a label to modify the contents of an existing album, rather than "version" it. Even if music that was on the original that you purchased is still on the next version, you aren't entitled to download it if they have twiddled with it at all.

Combine that with the way Apple now no longer does backup/restore of your music library when you change phones, forcing you to re-download anything from iTunes Cloud, and music you've purchased is gone forever (except for whatever devices you may have saved it to previously. You're allowed to keep those, even if they're no longer useful to you).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 11:28 AM in response to WedgeOfSpite

Nevermind. It turns out that all that has to happen is for a label to modify the contents of an existing album, rather than "version" it. Even if music that was on the original that you purchased is still on the next version, you aren't entitled to download it if they have twiddled with it at all.

Combine that with the way Apple now no longer does backup/restore of your music library when you change phones, forcing you to re-download anything from iTunes Cloud, and music you've purchased is gone forever (except for whatever devices you may have saved it to previously. You're allowed to keep those, even if they're no longer useful to you).

Purchased Album, All songs in iTunes, None Hidden, Same Apple ID, Songs Missing for Download on iPhone Music from Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.