Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep emergency contacts silent while wearing Apple Watch and both watch & iPhone muted

Hello,

I have an iPhone XS Max w/ iOS 14.7..1 and Apple Watch SE with watchOS 7.6.2.

I have several individuals set as emergency contacts. My understanding is that this setting makes it so these individuals can always contact me, regardless of do not disturb, or if phone is muted.

This is generally the behavior I’m looking for, except, I cannot ever mute the sound, even when I’m wearing my watch and it is muted.

My logic is that, if I’m wearing my watch and both watch and phone are muted, the haptic feedback from the watch is sufficient for getting in touch with me. But my phone or watch ring and ding with every call or text from my emergency contacts.

Is there any way to silence the sounds but still get these notifications while I’m wearing my watch?

Thanks!

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 12:09 PM

Do you mean "Favorites"? Emergency Contacts are people you've designated as people to contact in case of an emergency.

Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone - Apple Support

If you mean you have people set on "Emergency Bypass", you may want to change them back to regular notification status and then make the adjustments in Settings>Focus>People. It's much more granular than the old "Emergency Bypass".

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2021 12:09 PM in response to mebbert

Do you mean "Favorites"? Emergency Contacts are people you've designated as people to contact in case of an emergency.

Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone - Apple Support

If you mean you have people set on "Emergency Bypass", you may want to change them back to regular notification status and then make the adjustments in Settings>Focus>People. It's much more granular than the old "Emergency Bypass".

Oct 18, 2021 11:50 AM in response to mebbert

Hello, mebbert.

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that when an emergency contact calls or messages you, a sound plays regardless of your devices sound settings.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone are both set to silent when this happens, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly for a closer look.

You can reach them here: Contact - Official Apple Support

Cheers!

Keep emergency contacts silent while wearing Apple Watch and both watch & iPhone muted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.