Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How would I know whether an iMessage has come in for me? I don't have an iPhone. I don't usually have iMessages turned on. But if a friend sends me an iMessage, I won't see it for months, if I turn on iMessages on my MacBookPro.

How would I know whether an iMessage has come in for me? I don't have an iPhone.

I do have a MacBook Pro, but I don't usually have iMessages turned on.

Sometimes, a friend sends me an iMessage, but I won't see it for months, until I turn on iMessages on my MacBookPro. Is there some kind of alert that would let me know to turn on Messages on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 9:07 PM

iMessages are associated with your Apple ID, and as you know, only work between Apple devices. In theory, you don't need to keep your Mac running. Of course, the only way to access iMessages would be when your Mac is powered-on, and then, run the Messages app. In theory, any iMessages you would have received when your Mac was either powered-off or powered-on, but with the Messages app not running, should appear after starting up the app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2021 9:07 PM in response to DevBiology

iMessages are associated with your Apple ID, and as you know, only work between Apple devices. In theory, you don't need to keep your Mac running. Of course, the only way to access iMessages would be when your Mac is powered-on, and then, run the Messages app. In theory, any iMessages you would have received when your Mac was either powered-off or powered-on, but with the Messages app not running, should appear after starting up the app.

How would I know whether an iMessage has come in for me? I don't have an iPhone. I don't usually have iMessages turned on. But if a friend sends me an iMessage, I won't see it for months, if I turn on iMessages on my MacBookPro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.