You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move un-consolidated files in Apple Music library to external drive without Consolidating them.

I have a collection of music files in a folder structure on my HD that i want to move to an external drive.

The files are not in the Music media library folder and i don't want to consolidate them, i want to keep the current folder structure but move it to an external drive.

The files are used in several playlists in Music app and when i move them it breaks the link to them and it seems that Music app will only reconnect them one at a time. (I think iTunes used to search folder structures and locate multiple files).

Any help or advice as to how to do this if its possible would be great because there are about 1000 files that would need relinking manually otherwise!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 7:35 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 16, 2021 2:31 PM in response to nc3134

Hi,

Here is my first attempt at this: Updating references in Music after copying files to a new location - Apple Community.

Works for me when testing with a small quantity of files but I might have made assumptions that don't hold for you. Please give it a try and start with a small selection. If you're happy it works as you need select more of the files that need to be updated and run it again. Let me know if you get any errors and I'll try to refine it. I can update the script in the user tip with any corrections.

tt2

Nov 15, 2021 6:07 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your help and replies, well here's some screenshots of what i would like to do...

This is my music folder on my hard drive, the highlighted folders are the ones i want to move to an external memory stick....

I originally wanted to move the apple music library so it would all be self contained on to a memory stick, but then decided to leave the music library and move the other 3 folders only to the memory stick. I'm not sure which is the best option - move everything to memory stick or leave apple music library and downloads on the laptop and just move the other 3 folders that contain tracks i bought outside of apple music

This is a screen grab of the memory stick, i copied all the folders to it.

In the Beatport folder there are subfolders and all the files are separated according to when i purchased the tracks, all these files are linked to playlists etc......

The beatport files are purchased outside of apple music and i never wanted to consolidate them into the apple music folder.

Would they link easier if i moved the apple music library to be self contained on the memory stick and ran everything from there, or would i still need a script to change path names?

The path name change i assume could be fairly easy it would be just the source and destination folders as you highlighted in bold.

Many thanks for any help!

Oct 20, 2021 2:22 PM in response to nc3134

I suspect you will need to use AppleScript or something similar to move the files where you want them and update the library after each track has been moved. Is your structure something that builds obviously from the file properties? I have a script that moves my files to my preferred layout, building all of the necessary folders on the way before moving the files and then removing empty folders, however another approach might be to simply copy and paste your folder structure from the current location to the new one, then create a more simple script that only has to replace part of the current path with the new location and tell Music to use that. Once done you would then manually delete the original copies that are no longer associated with the library.

tt2

Nov 11, 2021 11:46 AM in response to nc3134

Hello again.

I've just had a quick look at my Mac script and it isn't quite as developed as I thought it was. Currently it only renames files within a folder. My Windows version does all the other housekeeping of making any new folders that might be required, moving the files from one folder to the other, and then cleaning up any folders that become empty. I've sure I can add this into my AppleScript version. (FWIW most of the files on my Mac are close to how I want them, and manually editing folder names on a Mac doesn't break iTunes/Music so I've never got around to the extra effort.) I generally use a similar layout to the one iTunes/Music uses. I.e. <Media Folder>/<Album Artist>/<Album>/## <Name>.<Ext>, but the script encodes some additional rules I have with track/disc numbers and adding the artist after track name when the artist is different from the album artist. The Windows version goes further, organizing particular genres such as classical, comedy, and soundtracks into their own subfolders of the media folder.

Do you have specific thoughts about the layout that you want, or is it simply a matter of changing <some root path>/<rest of the path> to <some other root path>/<rest of the path> in a reliable manner? E.g.

/Macintosh HD/Users/Bob/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Beatles/Abbey Road/01 Come Together.mp3 becomes

/External HD/Music/Media/The Beatles/Abbey Road/01 Come Together.mp3

Where the bold bits are the source and destination folders.

tt2

Move un-consolidated files in Apple Music library to external drive without Consolidating them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.