Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data recovery from drivesavers or ontrack

hi, I’m looking to get data from my macbook air SSD (hard drive) recovered and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of either drivesavers or ontrack and which company they would recommend?

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 8:44 AM

4 replies

Oct 18, 2021 9:46 AM in response to oo259

I can tell you that Driversavers doesn't publish prices on their website. They want you to send them the device for evaluation and then make your a proposal. They say the cost is usually in the upper 1/3 of the price quote so all things considered, it's going to be an expensive proposition. No info about OnTrack.

Why do you think you can't do it yourself? As long as your device is not irreparably damaged there's usually something a user can do.

Is the SSD out of the case?

Oct 18, 2021 4:39 PM in response to oo259

I would go with Drive Savers. Our organization used them many years ago and we were satisfied with their service. If they cannot recover any data they don't charge for the attempt (I think this is still the case as another user on these forums recently mentioned this as well).

A 2018+ model includes the T2 security chip which makes the chances of recovering data that much more difficult and unlikely. If the T2 chip is bad or just corrupted, then there is absolutely no chance of recovering any data because the data on the SSD is hardware encrypted with the T2 chip holding the encryption keys.

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

Data recovery from drivesavers or ontrack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.