Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV has no sound

How can I get the sound working for my 4k Apple TV?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 10:07 AM

I sometimes experienced this issue, and it seemed to be related to my LG TV. The only solution I found was to go into the TV Settings on my LG TV, navigate to the Sound settings, and turn on the Test Audio function. The TV played the test music, and then sound worked again with my AppleTV.

Strange…and probably a corner case, but it’s worth a try.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 10:07 AM in response to air2jtm

I sometimes experienced this issue, and it seemed to be related to my LG TV. The only solution I found was to go into the TV Settings on my LG TV, navigate to the Sound settings, and turn on the Test Audio function. The TV played the test music, and then sound worked again with my AppleTV.

Strange…and probably a corner case, but it’s worth a try.

Oct 20, 2021 3:07 AM in response to air2jtm

Tell us about your audio setup. Possibly it needs a change of the Audio Format settings.

• Default: ‘Auto’ (PCM Multichannel, uncompressed, best quality, needs HDMI, not optical)
  • Alternative option: Dolby Digital 5.1 (more compatible)
  • Alternative option: Stereo 2.0 (even more compatible)

Adjust other audio settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2021 1:45 PM in response to air2jtm

It seems the problem comes after updating the Apple TV 4K to a higher firmware version then 15.X After Updating, no audio whatsoever. I experienced this with two Apple TV 4K boxes. I bought a new one, because I thought the old one was broken. After installing, the new one worked fine incl. Audio. Because it still had a firmware 13.X on it. I then made an update to the newest firmware version. ...and then the sound was gone! THIS IS JUST UNBELIEVABLE! What is the plan from apple to solve this problem? Backdating is obviously not possible with Apple TV 4K because there is no USB-socket. Apple give me a solution - please now!

Jan 12, 2022 6:28 PM in response to air2jtm

My 4K AppleTV 2021 has done this since I bought it. Some things it will play sound and some things won’t. When I watch live tv on YoutubeTV the sound plays, but if I go to watch a recorded show or something on Netflix it has no sound. I just went to a movie in the Apple store on my AppleTV box and it has no sound.

My 1st gen 4K AppleTV works fine with audio on everything, and so do both of my other regular AppleTV boxes, it’s only the 2021 4K box that does this, and it has done it since day one when I hooked it up.

Jan 20, 2022 3:23 AM in response to loveyrself

I had this experience several times, with my LG TVs. The way I resolved it when it happened was to go into the TV settings (on the LG TV, not the AppleTV), navigate to the Sound Settings, and choose the Option to play a Test sound. Immediately, the sound would start working again. I know, strange.

it hasn’t happened for a long time now, but i’ve also done software updates on both the AppleTV and the LG TVs.

Feb 6, 2022 6:49 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I’m currently having this issue. Navigation sounds always come through but starting a show on the Paramount+ app and HBO Max app most of the time there is no sound. You can exit the show 3-10 times and go back in and the sound will finally be there. Changing the Audio Format setting from Auto to On and choosing Dolby Digital 5.1 seems to help. Definitely a software bug somewhere that needs to be worked out. Running tvOS 12.4 (19L5409j) on a brand new Samsung Q80A TV.

Feb 17, 2022 11:42 AM in response to krl03

I've got a first gen apple TV 4k that does this with a MY2021 samsung Q90A. It replaced an Apple TV HD that worked great - at 1080p on a 4k screen. I got the 4K through an 'awards' program at work for cheap and it's better, but this sound issue - my wife would rather not deal.

I just ruled out my last maybe - the HDMI cable. I was using a generic one with the HD, and I got a monoprice 8k one and swapped it in, and the issue is still there.

For more detail, the sound from the interface itself is always fine. The videos start and play reliably, it's just that the audio track somehow doesn't connect to the TV. Great picture, no sound. Back out and come back in, and it's a dice roll. Usually within five attempts it will start, but I gotta say - I lobbied hard to move to the Apple TV 4K. Now it (disappoints her) and her answer is - let's go back to the HD one that worked.

AND IT'S HARD TO ARGUE APPLE. FIX PLS TY.

Apple TV has no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.