Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 2009 or 2010 model password forgotten

Hi, I just got a very old MacBook from my aunt that belonged to my cousin, and it is definitely a 2009 or 2010 model, and definitely running Mavericks or Below.

it hasn’t been used in 12 years, but neither my aunt nor my cousin remembers the password that I need so I can erase it. Tried to open recovery mode, still wants the password. Gotten it wrong 15 times, still won’t show any reset options. Please help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 5:17 PM

Hello!

Something you can do to solve this, is by wiping the Mac, and starting a new account.

Before you wipe the Mac, you need to recover the password. An article will be linked to help you with that.

Second, you want to see if there are any files on the computer you need, and store them on a USB hard drive(don't know if this applies to you since you haven't gotten to use the computer yet).

Third, you can wipe your Mac. To do this, you'll have to have a very strong internet connection because the Mac will be downloading a few gigabits worth of data.

To actually wipe the Mac, you have to press your power button. The second you do that, you also have to hold down the control and R keys until you see that an Apple logo or globe has popped up on your screen.

After that, release the keys, and you should be seeing the utilities window pop up on your screen. There will be a few options that you can click on, but you should click on Disk Utility.

Next, you will see all of the HD's pop up on your screen. Click on your main drive, also called Macintosh HD, then click erase.

Lastly, a new window should appear, which will have some things you need to fill out. Once done with all this, click the erase button and you will be done with everything.

click> How to recover-Mac password

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Yeet_Boy_FRESH

Hello!

Something you can do to solve this, is by wiping the Mac, and starting a new account.

Before you wipe the Mac, you need to recover the password. An article will be linked to help you with that.

Second, you want to see if there are any files on the computer you need, and store them on a USB hard drive(don't know if this applies to you since you haven't gotten to use the computer yet).

Third, you can wipe your Mac. To do this, you'll have to have a very strong internet connection because the Mac will be downloading a few gigabits worth of data.

To actually wipe the Mac, you have to press your power button. The second you do that, you also have to hold down the control and R keys until you see that an Apple logo or globe has popped up on your screen.

After that, release the keys, and you should be seeing the utilities window pop up on your screen. There will be a few options that you can click on, but you should click on Disk Utility.

Next, you will see all of the HD's pop up on your screen. Click on your main drive, also called Macintosh HD, then click erase.

Lastly, a new window should appear, which will have some things you need to fill out. Once done with all this, click the erase button and you will be done with everything.

click> How to recover-Mac password

MacBook 2009 or 2010 model password forgotten

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.