Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 has deleted all my text messages

Just downloaded iOS 15.2 on my 7+. All seems to be working except all of my messages are now gone. I messages turned on under iCloud, but so far, after 24 hrs, none are visible.

Anyone else experience this? Is there any way to get them back? It’s kinda important that I do.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 7:09 PM

If Messages in iCloud is enabled, the messages cannot be retrieved. If you're unsure if this feature is turned on, here's how to check: Use Messages in iCloud. If Messages in iCloud isn't turned on, and you have a backup that contains the messages, they can be restored with these steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. Keep in mind, any data that has been put onto your iPhone after the backup was created will be lost. If you have made a backup of the iPhone since you deleted the message, you will not be able to retrieve it either.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2021 7:09 PM in response to wuddog

If Messages in iCloud is enabled, the messages cannot be retrieved. If you're unsure if this feature is turned on, here's how to check: Use Messages in iCloud. If Messages in iCloud isn't turned on, and you have a backup that contains the messages, they can be restored with these steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. Keep in mind, any data that has been put onto your iPhone after the backup was created will be lost. If you have made a backup of the iPhone since you deleted the message, you will not be able to retrieve it either.

Oct 18, 2021 8:27 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I do have iCloud messages on. My iCloud account says I have 11+GB of stored messages. I don’t know how much of that is from this phone and how much is from my other phone or iPad. My phone says I only have ~450MB in messages.

There’s something up. A bunch of pics I’ve sent over the years pop up in my message search. Also there are indications of the links I’ve sent but they don’t function when I tap on them. Empty conversations are dated 12/31/00 - impossible (did not have a cell phone then) and they all say I’ve left the conversation.

I have never had good luck with iOS upgrades.

Where can I go to talk to someone about this?

Oct 18, 2021 9:35 PM in response to wuddog

Gonna have to repost until someone from Apple will address this. Every one of my messages from before this iOS 15 debacle is gone. For some reason there’s a bunch of random links and pictures I’ve sent to my wife that show up when I tap her ID. But messages to my kids’ teams, my family, friends, etc. are all gone. Poof. My iCloud account says there’s 11GB of messages. But how do I find them? There’s no list on of messages when I log into iCloud.

This whole thing makes me sick. I don’t have to be a mechanic to drive a car and I shouldn’t have to be a freaking computer engineer to use a phone.

Oct 20, 2021 10:22 AM in response to wuddog

No one from Apple will address it here. If you wish to have Apple respond, you need to use the Get Support link at the top of the page and contact Apple Support.

Since you are seeing that 11.7GB, I would try logging out of iCloud, power cycling the phone and logging back in again. While iCloud does have an option from the browser access to recover calendar, contacts, bookmark, and notes; iMessages is not included there. While it may work, you could try just turning off iMessage in iCloud, power cycle the iPhone and then turning iMessage back on again and see if it syncs. That method is used to fix syncing of calendar and contacts.

Oct 26, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Elsie1700

I’ve not resolved this yet. I’ve turned off my backup because I theorize that the messages are in my iCloud account but I don’t want the phone to wipe them out. I did get some messages back but only to 10/9/21. Anything older is still missing.

I’m not real slick with the inner workings of the phone. After calling Apple out on Twitter I got some DMs with instructions I wasn’t comfortable initiating. So I finally asked for a phone number to call. I just haven’t had time to sit down and work on it. I’ll likely have to pay for that help but when I do have the conversation I’ll share what I learned.

It’s very discerning and causes me to lose confidence in Apple products. A buddy related to me how he despises iOS products because of how they force things on their customers. I’m feeling same.

iOS 15 has deleted all my text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.