You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop vs Laptop

In general, is a desktop faster/better than a laptop if it had the same specs? For example; today Apple announced the new MacBook Pro M1 Max laptops and I'm wondering if they were to come out with an iMac or Mac Mini version with the same M1 Max specs in a few months, would the desktop version be better? The reason I ask is I sold my M1 Mac Mini desktop just the other day expecting Apple to announce the new Mac Mini M1 Max (or whatever it will be called) today. But now that they did not announce the new Mac Mini I'm wondering if I should replace my desktop setup with this new laptop and just connect it to my desktop monitor? Or should I keep waiting for the desktop version to eventually come out? I am a video editor and I don't need the portability of a laptop, I just want the best computer I can get and I feel like I would be settling if I get this laptop now instead of waiting for the desktop version to eventually come out, but the way people are reacting to these laptops I'm wondering if they are just as good as the future desktop versions will potentially be? Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction!

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 10:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 11:04 PM

Nobody can answer this for you. The best computer is always the one coming next year - in which case you will never buy the hardware.

I think you are asking the wrong question anyway. Instead of what is the "best" Mac to buy you should ask what will best suit your needs based on budget, place of use, longevity and portability to name just a few factors.

If you don't need portability an iMac is ideal (full disclosure - I'm an iMac owner)

If you need to travel with your Mac a notebook is the way to go.

If you use high-end apps, such as your mention of video editing, then you might benefit from investing in a Mac with superior internals.

But as a general rule of thumb, if you view a new computer as an asset and invest in it by spending a little extra on a few modifications to upgrade it's capability it will serve you a little bit longer, but the cost might be significant. This is why you need to work it out for yourself, or with some advice from a trusted Mac-using friend.

To give you an example, one of my family is about to replace an old MacBook Pro and will buy the 2000 MacBook Pro (the first M1 model) soon because it's more than capable enough for her needs well into the rest of this decade. The new 2021 notebooks announced today are far in excess of what she needs so the extra expense is not justified.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2021 11:04 PM in response to davin823

Nobody can answer this for you. The best computer is always the one coming next year - in which case you will never buy the hardware.

I think you are asking the wrong question anyway. Instead of what is the "best" Mac to buy you should ask what will best suit your needs based on budget, place of use, longevity and portability to name just a few factors.

If you don't need portability an iMac is ideal (full disclosure - I'm an iMac owner)

If you need to travel with your Mac a notebook is the way to go.

If you use high-end apps, such as your mention of video editing, then you might benefit from investing in a Mac with superior internals.

But as a general rule of thumb, if you view a new computer as an asset and invest in it by spending a little extra on a few modifications to upgrade it's capability it will serve you a little bit longer, but the cost might be significant. This is why you need to work it out for yourself, or with some advice from a trusted Mac-using friend.

To give you an example, one of my family is about to replace an old MacBook Pro and will buy the 2000 MacBook Pro (the first M1 model) soon because it's more than capable enough for her needs well into the rest of this decade. The new 2021 notebooks announced today are far in excess of what she needs so the extra expense is not justified.

Oct 18, 2021 11:34 PM in response to David McKinlay

Thank you for your response. Yes, the question I asked is to help me determine which computer will best suit my needs.

I'm not interested in these new MacBooks simply because they are the newest or "best" but because I am a professional video editor editing 8K video and my current M1 Mac Mini cannot handle the huge video files. These new MacBooks on the other hand look like they would handle those files much better with the extra GPU & RAM. But since I work from an office I don't need the portability of a laptop so my plan was to get a desktop. But it looks like these laptops are better suited for my needs than any Apple desktop that is currently available.

So the conundrum I'm in is; I need a powerful desktop but currently the most powerful computer offered by Apple is a laptop.

To sum it up I'm wondering, is it wise to purchase a laptop when I'm just going to plug it into a huge monitor and use it like a desktop to never be moved? I guess I was hoping someone could tell me "yes this laptop will work just as good as a desktop with the same specs" or "no it is better to wait for a desktop if I'm not going to be utilizing the portability of a laptop"

Sorry for the long message and thank you again for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it. I am a filmmaker and I really don't know as much about computers as I should.

Oct 19, 2021 2:51 AM in response to davin823

You probably had your answer yesterday! A 16-inch MacBook Pro MI Max will get the job done and you can hook up to a Dell 8K monitor(!) if desired! Other than that, there is probably nothing cost-effective in the range right now. There is no new 27" iMac and buying a Mac Pro right now makes no sense until they have whatever version of the M chip Apple decides to go with.

The Mini was rumoured to be getting the new chips and maybe more ports but it didn't happen.

Many people seem to use their laptops purely as a 'clamshell' desktop hooked up semi-permanently to a big monitor. I don't personally see this as ideal. Many of us are not moving around as much as we used to and, like you, I would have preferred to see an earlier focus on desktop options

Oct 19, 2021 2:58 AM in response to Walter Brewster

My thoughts exactly! Thank you for your response.

I guess my only question is; is it foolish to spend all the money to get the most upgraded MacBook Pro M1 Max just to use it as a desktop? Especially when a much more affordable and just as capable Mac Mini or iMac will probably be coming out in a few months.

This is a tough decision, on one hand I need something now and I think this MacBook would do the job great but on the other hand I feel silly buying an expensive laptop and treating it like a desktop. I already have monitors so a new Mac Mini would be the most cost effective but I just don't know if I can wait for it to come out. I wish they would just tell us when these things will be released.

Oct 19, 2021 3:15 AM in response to davin823

I find the Mac Mini perfect for 4K editing but 8K is still pretty niche I think! I don't know where you are based but if you are in the US it might be worth giving these guys a call. They only handle custom PC builds but if you use Resolve or Premiere Pro rather than Final Cut it could provide a solution. https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143/Buy_249

Oct 19, 2021 8:44 AM in response to davin823

👍You’re welcome! IMO, the new Apple laptops aren’t game changers. Sure, they have lots of spec razzle-dazzle but that doesn’t exactly do away with desktops (or even Intel chips for that matter). It’s possible (hoped for) that newer minis and iMacs will have real, game-changing features. Configurable 1/2/3 HDMI ports would cut it for me. Or Apple-branded monitors under $1K with Thunderbolt daisy chaining.

Let’s see! All the best.

Oct 20, 2021 4:42 AM in response to hcsitas

We really won't know that for sure until they are actually in peoples hands and various benchmarks are run on them as well as real world tests are done by someone other than Apple. BTW, people were saying the same thing about M1s until people got a hold of them and found that they left most of the Intel machines in the dust, even with Rosetta emulation.

Oct 20, 2021 5:06 AM in response to woodmeister50

That's true. The M1 Mac Mini far exceeded my expectations, even with its modest specs.

I guess this whole conversation started with the fact that I feel confused because I want to buy a professional level M1 Desktop but the only professional level M1 option is a laptop.

It doesn't make sense to me to invest in the expensive Mac Pro at this point because I've seen comparisons where these entry level M1's are actually outperforming them so it seems like the future is in M1 chips. And the entry level M1 iMac wouldn't be enough computer for me editing 8K videos.

Oct 20, 2021 12:28 PM in response to davin823

There should still be a large screen iMac upcoming, likely using the recent M1 Pro and/or M1 Max and of course a MacPro. Unless you are in dire need of a computer now, you may want to wait. Also, you could still get one of the new MacBooks now and when one of the above get released, sell it and by the desired desktop.

Also, at this point I would not expect a MacMini with an M1 Pro or M1 Max and likely see something on the lines of an M2 chip in the future and perhaps a whole redesign (been using the same box since 2010, just different colors).

Desktop vs Laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.