Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini or Mac studio

I have a 27" mac, late 2014. I use it for home computing and a little gopro editing. Its starting to struggle and I want to upgrade. Will the Mac Mini M1 do the job or should i get the Mac studio. I want to get good life before having to replace. Looks like I am up for a new display as well. Cheers

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 5:29 AM

The Mini will perform 3-4 times faster than your current iMac.

The MacStudio was designed for serious video editing, image processing, or intense 3-D graphics, i.e. pro level work.

Based on the little you mention, the Studio would be way overkill for your needs.

Go with the Mini or the new 24" iMacs if you don't mind a smaller screen.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 5:29 AM in response to Spharks11

The Mini will perform 3-4 times faster than your current iMac.

The MacStudio was designed for serious video editing, image processing, or intense 3-D graphics, i.e. pro level work.

Based on the little you mention, the Studio would be way overkill for your needs.

Go with the Mini or the new 24" iMacs if you don't mind a smaller screen.

Aug 30, 2022 11:11 PM in response to Spharks11

Spharks11 Said:

"Mac mini or Mac studio: Thanks. I will check that. My question was more about the power of the mini compared to the imac27. Or should I spend the extra for studio which is much more expensive"

-------

You are welcome.

Updating to a New Mac or the Software:

That's your Call: Frankly, for newer software, you'd have to do both: A new Mac and a new license. f this were me, I'd upgrade to the new Mac, and request a new key from the Developer for a new install. Tell them that I've transferred data.

Transferring App Between Macs:

Note that Migration Assistant doe not allow for all items to be transferred (all due to the concern for licensing ---mainly a concern for piracy, in itself).

Aug 30, 2022 8:01 PM in response to Spharks11

Spharks11 Said:

"Mac mini or Mac studio: I have a 27" mac, late 2014. I use it for home computing and a little gopro editing. Its starting to struggle and I want to upgrade. Will the Mac Mini M1 do the job or should i get the Mac studio. I want to get good life before having to replace. Looks like I am up for a new display as well. Cheers"

-------

Research Prior to Upgrading:

There is much out there, and if you are going to upgrade, the perform a bit of research. Know that nowadays' Macs come with a M1 or a M2 processor --not an Intel processor, like that of you current Mac. So, research is keen here. See if you current software is compatible with the macOS, as well.

Mac mini or Mac studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.