Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new M1 mac mini + old thunderbolt display - yay or nay

I'm trying to decide between

1) getting the new M1 mac mini to use with a second-hand thunderbolt display 27" that was passed down to me or,

2) getting the 24" iMac.

I'll mostly be editing video and I use premiere pro primarily. I'm trying to save cost and 1st option seems like better bang for buck since I already got the display for free and the mac mini processing power seems stronger. But i'm currently using the display with my 2015 macbook and the connection between the two is proving quite slow and laggy. Thoughts on new mac mini + old display or should I just get the iMac for slightly more $$? Thanks!

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 5:55 AM

I have a Mac Mini M1 that I used with my TB display. While it worked fine (no lag) it was not as bright as my 27" iMac so I got an LG 5K display which mirrors my 27" iMac. You can start with the TB display and if you feel it is fine for what you do then OK. If not you can always get a new display. If you are OK with the smaller 24" display then go for the new iMac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 5:55 AM in response to komaw

I have a Mac Mini M1 that I used with my TB display. While it worked fine (no lag) it was not as bright as my 27" iMac so I got an LG 5K display which mirrors my 27" iMac. You can start with the TB display and if you feel it is fine for what you do then OK. If not you can always get a new display. If you are OK with the smaller 24" display then go for the new iMac.

new M1 mac mini + old thunderbolt display - yay or nay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.