Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop from MBP not showing device names of target devices

When I use AirDrop to transfer files, photos, etc. to my other devices (iPad, iPhone), the names of those names do not appear. Instead my name and the type of device is shown instead. For example: First Name Last Name iPad. Since I have two iPads, it becomes confusing when both of them are on at the time I am attempting the AirDrop.

It is worth noting though that the correct device names appear on my MBP in other areas like Finder, Settings > AppleId, etc.

However, if doing the AirDrop from my other devices, the names of the other devices appear correctly, including the name of my MBP.

All devices are on latest OS builds:

1. iPad Air 2 and iPad Air 4: iPad OS 15.0.2
  2. iPhone XR: iOS 15.0.2
  3. MBP 13" 2017: macOS Big Sur 11.6

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 6:29 AM

Arel Cee

Thanks for reaching back out and providing those screenshots. We understand you've customized names for each of your iPads and devices, but when using AirDrop you're only seeing the device type and your name and photo. That appears to be working as expected. Your Feedback is vital to our goal of improving our products and services. If you’d like to leave feedback, please do so, here: Product Feedback

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 6:29 AM in response to Arel Cee

Arel Cee

Thanks for reaching back out and providing those screenshots. We understand you've customized names for each of your iPads and devices, but when using AirDrop you're only seeing the device type and your name and photo. That appears to be working as expected. Your Feedback is vital to our goal of improving our products and services. If you’d like to leave feedback, please do so, here: Product Feedback

Take care!

Oct 20, 2021 6:23 AM in response to Arel Cee

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’d like to change the names associated with your Apple devices so they are easier to identify when using features like AirDrop. We’ll be happy to help out.

For iPhone, follow this guide: Change the name of your iPhone

For iPad, follow this guide: Change the name of your iPad

We hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

Best regards.

Dec 21, 2021 6:30 AM in response to danakayw

I'm sorry, but no. You may have misunderstood me. My devices are all named. Those names can be seen when I view my Apple ID on my MBP under Settings.

However, when I use AirDrop, the names of the devices do not appear. Just my name and the device type:

It becomes confusing when both of iPads (Air 2 and Air 4) are both on during an AirDrop as I can't determine which is the correct one. I would have to turn off the one I don't want to do the transfer to.

I am finding it odd why AirDrop (from my MBP) can't identify the correct names of my other devices, when it is able to identify them in the Settings. However, when I transfer from the other devices (iPads or iPhone), the AirDrop correctly identifies/displays names of the target devices, including the name of my MBP.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

AirDrop from MBP not showing device names of target devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.