Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 6K-3K-4K

Hi everyone!

I have a question: is this normal?

I try to use my 32" 4K monitor, the optimal size for the ui is "similar to 3008x1692" set in the middle with the slider. In this case everything is lagging at 60Hz.

But as I see it doesn't resize the ui only. It generates a 6016x3384 image, then "downscales" to 3008x1692, then displays at 3840x2160. It is the 3rd conversion.

I tried SwitchResX, but it didn't help to set up correctly.

The only thing I want, is a sharp 4K displayed fast image without tiny ui elements, and not a blurry low res 3008x1692 image. Is there anything I can do? Any utility or setting?

Thx, R

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 2:58 AM

I bought a M1 mac mini, and it solved every problem. So if you have a 4K monitor, you can't use it, only with 4K or below using low res mode. In every other case the Intel UHD 630 can't grow up to the job.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 19, 2021 9:43 PM in response to Rolcho

Sadly that is normal-ish. I reproduced the 6K-4K-3K 2-step scaling on my mac, and the underpowered UHD 630 is known to have slight lag rendering full-screen effects when using a scaling factor other than native 4K or the half-scale Retina default.

However that is usually only noticeable on elaborate large-scale UI special effects and not for 'everything'.

Oct 25, 2021 5:08 AM in response to Rolcho

The scaling that is being done is "HiDPI" mode (Apple calls it Retina on iMacs and MacBooks). The image is rendered at twice the resolution of the scaled mode in the computer to create smother and cleaner images when scaled to the actual display. ZERO scaling is needed however when rendering an image in the display's native resolution. This is how it is done on all computers regardless of whether it is Apple or windows.

Mac mini 6K-3K-4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.