Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delayed texts and missed calls

This happened to me about 6 months ago and my husband helped me find a fix, but it's happening again and I don't remember what the fix was. I have iPhone 11 Pro Max that I got last October 2020.

This seems to happen more with group texts or between people who do not have an iPhone. With group texts, I don't get the texts until hours or days later. I just received 27 text messages at 2:00am last night from group texts. The problem is I don't know when they were actually sent because the time stamp is when it was delivered to me and not when it was sent.

There are also times that I have missed calls but nothing indicated I had a missed call and if they leave a voicemail, I get that notification hours or days later as well.

I am a supervisor and since we are working remote, a lot of my employees contact me either via text or phone call via my cell, and if I am missing these texts or calls and not able to reply, that is a reflection on my performance and could put my job is in jeopardy.

My husband is also going through medical issues and if I miss a call or text from a doctor, it could be detrimental on his treatments. We also have a family group text to keep in touch with his progress and I have been missing a lot of texts from family wanting updates - they think I am ignoring them when I am just not receiving their messages.

I have tried all the fixes - restarting - resetting - turning airplane off and on - removing SIM card - turning off LTE - turning off iMessages - playing with notifications and sounds and alerts - EVERYTHING!

PLEASE HELP FIND A FIX!!

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 12:03 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 20, 2021 11:05 AM in response to AMBjake

Hi AMBjake,

It seems you're having trouble with messages and we can help.

Delays from group texts like the ones you described, green messages, are not iMessage. Turning off iMessage won't affect this.

These are MMS messages that run through your carrier. MMS messages require a good cellular data signal to work, 3G or better. If you're in a good signal area, try and update your carrier settings:

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Learn more here:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

If the issue continues, contact your carrier for advice.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 22, 2021 6:47 AM in response to bailier

I didn’t turn off my iMessages completely but I think that was a fix. To turn it off; restart your phone; and turn back on.

I am using my phone from my home (in a city) where we have good carrier service, so that’s not the issue.

I have tried to get help from Sprint multiple times but their fixes don’t help. Also, since I call them from my cell, a lot of times the fix includes a restart so then I have to disconnect from the call. When they try to call me back, I have no notification of an incoming call so I miss their call. They leave a voicemail, but I don’t get that until hours later.

Delayed texts and missed calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.