Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit add accessory failed

We had trouble with our Sensi Thermostat as it was always disconnected from HomeKit. But the thermostat was working fine using the vendor app so my girlfriend and I had the wonderful idea to remove it from HomeKit and add it back..

Since then, the device can't be added back to HomeKit...

Everything seems to go well...

1. Set the device to discovery mode
  2. Add to HomeKit scanning the code
  3. HomeKit sees the device
  4. I get the prompt to authorize the device on the network.
  5. the device connects to the network
  6. HomeKit fails with this message that isn't much helpful... "Add accessory failed"
  7. The device is connected to the network and works wonderfully... using the vendor's app...

How can I get a more meaningful message than "Add accessory failed"? What failed? Connection to the device obviously failed since the device connected to the network...

why isn't there a 'HomeKit' topic...

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 7:39 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 20, 2021 7:18 AM in response to steeve210

Try rebooting your router and power cycling your home hub before trying once more. I have a LIFX Mini that would continually fail to register in the Home app, but would occasionally do so after everything else was rebooted. Thankfully something seems to have changed and it has become more reliable. Touch wood. Are you removing it from the vendor app at the same time? In my case I think that was a prerequisite for success in Home.

tt2

Oct 20, 2021 10:04 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks turingtest2,

I had two devices with this behavior, the root cause of it happening was Wi-Fi interference, switching to a different 2.4 Channel and rebooting my router fixed the other accessory but unfortunately, we had already removed the thermostat from Home by the time I identified the exact cause... (when 17 devices out of 19 are working fine... suspecting the router wasn't my first guess)

However, I did not restart the AppleTV which is the main Home Hub, I'll try that and let you know.

Oct 21, 2021 7:33 PM in response to steeve210

I was having the same issue getting all my stuff on my new router, it would find the item - get it on the network only to tell me it could not find it or some other error code.

What I did do, and worked perfectly, was turn on the Smart Connect on my router.

See if you router has something like what Asus offers, once I turned that feature on everything connected right away.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012132/

HomeKit add accessory failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.