Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Green dots on night images

Hello, I recently bought a iPhone 12 - 2 weeks ago. I have noticed any photos I take from sunset to night time (when the light is changing) green dots are appearing on certain photos. Can anyone advise if my camera could be faulty or am I doing something wrong?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 11:34 PM

They do, you just haven't noticed.

On other threads I have posted examples of this occurring on iPhones at least as far back as the iPhone 6.

Here's another instructive graphic showing lens flare on both the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the Samsung Galaxy S21.

Here it is on an iPhone 8 Plus:

also:

This is from a video uploaded to YouTube shot with a Panasonic digital video camera:

You get the idea.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 11:34 PM in response to LaurenK1985

They do, you just haven't noticed.

On other threads I have posted examples of this occurring on iPhones at least as far back as the iPhone 6.

Here's another instructive graphic showing lens flare on both the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the Samsung Galaxy S21.

Here it is on an iPhone 8 Plus:

also:

This is from a video uploaded to YouTube shot with a Panasonic digital video camera:

You get the idea.

Oct 19, 2021 10:50 PM in response to LaurenK1985

Absolutely every camera ever built does this including DSLR cameras that cost thousands of dollars. This is a law of physics, not how much your camera costs.

Your camera on your phone is not expensive, you have camera built into your phone that is probably worth $50 at best. Again read this article about what lens flare is -

What is lens flare?

https://photographylife.com/what-is-ghosting-and-flare#:~:text=Lens%20flare%20occurs%20when%20a,being%20present%20in%20the%20image.

iPhone 12 Green dots on night images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.