Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5G running slow on the iPhone 13 Max Hardware, ATT

Anyone having issues with ATT 5G running slow? I feel the 4G LTE is faster. I get great speeds on my Home WiFi 6 network.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 5:26 PM

No, it's true 5G but seems really slow.

Sometimes I'm only getting about 2Mbps down, then it will jump 250Mbps. It just seems to be all over the place. My old iPhone 11 Pro Max was on 5Ge and was a lot more consistent then my iPhone13 Pro Max

10 replies

Oct 20, 2021 4:30 PM in response to AKRDALRT

Is it true 5G or 5Ge? AT&T’s network, like everyone’s, is a mis-mash these days. Some areas are true 5G, some are 5Ge (which is just LTE with a few of the backward compatible 5G enhancements enabled) and some areas are still just 4G LTE.

In my home I get 5Ge so my data speeds (5-6Mbps down, 2-2.5Mbps up) are less than my internet service. Less than a half-mile down the road I get true 5G and there download speeds are into the several 100s of Mbps. The cellular symbol says 5G in both places though, but 5Ge is not 5G.

Dec 7, 2021 8:23 PM in response to LuvnGod2k

It's an issue with many networks because cellular carriers have been in such a hurry to turn on 5G that devices connect to 5G on the tower before the infrastructure to the tower can be upgraded.

There have been numerous articles in telephony trade magazines discussing how this often makes 5G slower than LTE on those towers because the 5G side of the tower is more heavily loaded and is competing for the same bandwidth as the LTE connections.

In a very real way, it's like announcing the speed limit on a stretch of highway that's always backed up bumper-to-bumper will now be 100 MPH; that would be awesome if people weren't stuck going 5 MPH due to congestion.

For example, this article from December 2020 is about Verizon, but the same issues apply to AT&T:

The Verge: Verizon’s nationwide 5G can be slower than its LTE network, tests show

Dec 19, 2021 1:02 PM in response to Marchul18

It's an AT&T issue.

The iPhone 11 is using different cellular bands than the iPhone 13 can.

Since fewer phones can use the bands the iPhone 13 can, they will always appear to be less congested.

Unfortunately, the cell towers are not always properly optimized for the new frequency bands.

Further, 5G itself is slower than LTE in many areas.

A nice explanation from Reuters:

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-5G/jnpweyldnpw/

5G running slow on the iPhone 13 Max Hardware, ATT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.