You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old apps to new IMac

I am about to transfer my data (from Time Machine backup) to a new iMac 24 inch. My old machine is 10 yrs old, running ElCapitan 10.11.6. I am worried whether my existing applications will run in the new environment -- I am still using Microsoft Office 08.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 3:28 PM

Big Sur and newer (Monterey for example) will only run 64 bit applications. The first thing to do is to assess your third party apps on the old Mac in order to determine which ones you want to migrate forward. Then determine of those that you want to migrate which ones need to be upgraded to their 64bit equivalents. You can use an app such as RoaringApps to find what you have of you can find it in Mac OS!!! Some third party apps can be updated at no charge, others such as MS Office and any Adobe Pro apps must be re-purchased or move to their subscription models if you want to stay with those developers. Please remember you don't have to stay with Microsoft, you can use LibreOffice which is free and will work just fine. LibreOffice is just one example. If you use Adobe apps, again there are third party alternatives to research.

All of your data will come across easily, just follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant and follow them. Do that after you have updated on the old computer and have backed up using Time Machine on the old Mac. The reason I suggest using this process is because it is overall the fastest and easiest method if you follow the directions. If you don't follow the directions (don't worry they are dead simple) you may run into some major issues.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2021 3:28 PM in response to jonfromsoquel

Big Sur and newer (Monterey for example) will only run 64 bit applications. The first thing to do is to assess your third party apps on the old Mac in order to determine which ones you want to migrate forward. Then determine of those that you want to migrate which ones need to be upgraded to their 64bit equivalents. You can use an app such as RoaringApps to find what you have of you can find it in Mac OS!!! Some third party apps can be updated at no charge, others such as MS Office and any Adobe Pro apps must be re-purchased or move to their subscription models if you want to stay with those developers. Please remember you don't have to stay with Microsoft, you can use LibreOffice which is free and will work just fine. LibreOffice is just one example. If you use Adobe apps, again there are third party alternatives to research.

All of your data will come across easily, just follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant and follow them. Do that after you have updated on the old computer and have backed up using Time Machine on the old Mac. The reason I suggest using this process is because it is overall the fastest and easiest method if you follow the directions. If you don't follow the directions (don't worry they are dead simple) you may run into some major issues.

Oct 20, 2021 2:52 PM in response to jonfromsoquel

You will need to purchase Microsoft Office 2021 and which is a full purchase, or purchase an Office 365 subscription, or switch to the free LibreOffice app, or switch to Apple iWork apps Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, and which can read and write many Office documents.

The documents themselves will transfer across, and will be accesible to newer versions of the tools.

To find the apps that definitely won’t work, you can use the Go64 tool.

Old apps to new IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.