some questions about migration assistant

I'm currently using a late 2012 imac, running Mavericks. I'm about to purchase a new iMac, but have some questions about migrating my apps. My current computer is chock full of 32-bit apps (and some even older that won't run on my current computer!). If I use Migration Assistant, will it transfer all these apps over too, or just the ones that will run on the new computer? I'd hate to clog up the new one with all these useless files. Does MA allow one to choose specific apps to migrate? If I decide not to transfer apps at all, will it still transfer my keychain to the new machine?

Thanks for any help.

Aron

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 30, 2023 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 2:19 PM

When using Migration Assistant, it will indeed transfer all of your applications, including your old 32-bit apps, over to your new iMac. However, newer macOS versions, starting from Catalina, no longer support 32-bit applications, so they won't be able to run. This could result in some unnecessary clutter on your new machine.

Now, about your query on choosing specific apps to migrate, I'm afraid Migration Assistant doesn't allow you to select individual applications for transfer. It's more of an all-or-nothing deal when it comes to apps. If you decide not to transfer apps, yes, your keychain, along with other data and settings, will still be transferred.

For a cleaner start, you might want to consider manually installing the apps you need on your new iMac and transferring only user data and settings. This will let you avoid any potential issues with incompatible apps and will save you some storage space. Alternatively, you could transfer everything over and then uninstall the apps you no longer need. Just make sure to fully delete these apps to clear out the associated files.

I'd recommend going through these Apple Support articles to get a better understanding:

- Use the Migration Assistant to move data to your new Mac

- How to open a Mac app from an unidentified developer

- How to delete apps on your Mac

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 2:19 PM in response to aronfromtoledo1

When using Migration Assistant, it will indeed transfer all of your applications, including your old 32-bit apps, over to your new iMac. However, newer macOS versions, starting from Catalina, no longer support 32-bit applications, so they won't be able to run. This could result in some unnecessary clutter on your new machine.

Now, about your query on choosing specific apps to migrate, I'm afraid Migration Assistant doesn't allow you to select individual applications for transfer. It's more of an all-or-nothing deal when it comes to apps. If you decide not to transfer apps, yes, your keychain, along with other data and settings, will still be transferred.

For a cleaner start, you might want to consider manually installing the apps you need on your new iMac and transferring only user data and settings. This will let you avoid any potential issues with incompatible apps and will save you some storage space. Alternatively, you could transfer everything over and then uninstall the apps you no longer need. Just make sure to fully delete these apps to clear out the associated files.

I'd recommend going through these Apple Support articles to get a better understanding:

- Use the Migration Assistant to move data to your new Mac

- How to open a Mac app from an unidentified developer

- How to delete apps on your Mac

May 30, 2023 3:58 PM in response to aronfromtoledo1

You may want to go through the list of 32-bit applications that you have now, to figure out if there are any that you need to upgrade/replace (e.g., productivity applications that you use every day), as opposed to ones that you hate to lose (e.g., games).

To do this, select "About This Mac" in the Apple () menu. Click on the "System Report…" button. Then click on the "Applications" item (under "Software" in the side bar), and wait. When the Mac finishes making the list, click on the 64-bit (Intel) column header to sort the list by that attribute (and thus group the 32-bit ones together, for easier identification).

May 31, 2023 2:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks all for the replies. Since the apps I use most will have to be upgraded, I'll probably not transfer any apps using MA. I'll buy the upgrades and install them on the new computer, then manually add other apps as I need them. I was hoping there'd be a more automated solution, but I do want to keep the new computer as clean as possible for a while (I'm sure if I get 11 years out of it, as I did on my current one, it will end up as clogged-up as the current one). Thanks again.

some questions about migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.