Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer from old to new. mac

I am currently waiting for.my new mac m1 old one 2012 hardware (current catalina) to arrive and have looked at various answers on migration. I have a problem my fault messing about with it and suffer from a lot of "greying out" on certain folders so i don't want them to migrate to my new mac so in essence what i am trying to ascertain is. Is there a way of just transferring the applications that i want to migrate and perhaps not all of them? Many thanks

Andy

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 11:49 AM

From the link here >>>>Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support (CA)

One would choose the User Account and nothing more

see image below

5 replies

Jul 13, 2022 8:10 AM in response to an5yship

The below is in IMHO

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Jul 13, 2022 11:36 AM in response to an5yship

I think this is the answer you are looking for. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. Then you will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results.  Do not use it. It can corrupt or lose data.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You will likely want to transfer your settings and preferences.

You have decided to transfer none of your files as you are going to transfer only certain ones manually.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

It should set up the new computer the same as the old one if you have elected to transfer your preferences and personal data.

Enjoy your new Mac. If you choose no, then you will have done the setup in the new computer manually for these items.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

First, in the transfer process, you start up the new computer. Then you begin get process of setting it up by doing the entries requested. At some point you will be asked if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. You say yes and then follow the instructions.

Transfer from old to new. mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.