What should I transfer in migration assistant

I am using migration assistant to transfer files to a new Mac. I’m trying to transfer as little as possible but get all my documents. If I select my User profile does that do the trick? Why would I want to transfer “System & Network”, “Applications” or “Other Files & Folders”? Won’t my new Mac have all the apps I need?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 4, 2023 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2023 5:59 PM

Hi there!

Applications include third-party apps you've installed, such as Microsoft Office.

Other Files & Folders include items from your user Library; if you migrate Applications, you should also migrate this.

System & Network includes Wi-Fi networks you've previously connected to and other network settings.

To learn more, take a look at Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support.

Hope this helps!

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2023 5:59 PM in response to dreynol5

Hi there!

Applications include third-party apps you've installed, such as Microsoft Office.

Other Files & Folders include items from your user Library; if you migrate Applications, you should also migrate this.

System & Network includes Wi-Fi networks you've previously connected to and other network settings.

To learn more, take a look at Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support.

Hope this helps!

Jack

What should I transfer in migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.