Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With the migration assistance, can you select certain files you want to transfer to the new Mac? I don’t want everything transferred from the old to new.

With the migration assistance, can you select certain files you want to transfer to the new Mac? I don’t want everything transferred from the old to new.

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 8:39 AM

Migration assistant is pretty much all or nothing with regard to files and folders.

However, all you need to do is create a TM backup having sequestered the unwanted data in a single folder you can later remove and migrate using it.

Or delete the unwanted data and make a new TM backup.

I think either of these would be cleaner than trying to pick and choose TM during migration.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 8:39 AM in response to rosanne90

Migration assistant is pretty much all or nothing with regard to files and folders.

However, all you need to do is create a TM backup having sequestered the unwanted data in a single folder you can later remove and migrate using it.

Or delete the unwanted data and make a new TM backup.

I think either of these would be cleaner than trying to pick and choose TM during migration.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.