Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Phone Alert & No Sound When On Silent

Sometime around the introduction of iOS15 I noticed that find my phone will no longer play the alert sound when trying to find a device on silent mode.

It WILL send the find my phone notification pop up to the device, but the pinging sound will NOT play which makes pinpointing the device virtually impossible.

Am I missing something here, or is this a known issue with the latest iOS releases?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 11:34 AM

So I’ve managed to track it down to find my phone initiations via the HomePods. If I do it from my iPad, or via the browser, it seems to work properly. However when using the HomePod (and seemingly AirPods do it too) to initiate the ping it only sends a notification to the device and doesn’t actually trigger a sound.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 11:34 AM in response to chuckbl

So I’ve managed to track it down to find my phone initiations via the HomePods. If I do it from my iPad, or via the browser, it seems to work properly. However when using the HomePod (and seemingly AirPods do it too) to initiate the ping it only sends a notification to the device and doesn’t actually trigger a sound.

Oct 22, 2021 10:50 AM in response to SDonahue85

Hello SDonahue85,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about your iPhone not playing the location sound when the Silent switch is engaged.

Is your iPhone running the latest iOS 15.0.2? Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Are you using another device to ping your iPhone?

If so, does that behavior persist if you also try that process using the iCloud website on a computer? Play a sound on a device with Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

Hopefully those details will help to further isolate this behavior.

Take care.

Find My Phone Alert & No Sound When On Silent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.