Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound notifications for texts on iPhone 12

Ok so I thought this was my watch having issues with notifications but come to find out I'm not getting any text sound notifications from my phone. I have the watch turned off, and when a text come sin nothing happens. I hear it come form my ipad as usual. I touch the phone it;s there but no sound when it's locked. Unlocked they come through fine but not locked. Is there a place I;m issing maybe that got turned off besides in messages and notifications? Any other notification Ring or ebay comes through fine even phone calls just messages. It's kinda confusing

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 10:30 AM

I am having the same problems. No ring or vibrate for calls or texts. I have checked all the settings you listed here for both the watch and phone. I have turned off the focus feature and my friends are still getting the message from focus showing that I’m not accepting messages at this time. I haven’t gotten a text notification or phone call tone since this awful update was added. How do I fix this?

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 10:30 AM in response to Isaac Moralez

I am having the same problems. No ring or vibrate for calls or texts. I have checked all the settings you listed here for both the watch and phone. I have turned off the focus feature and my friends are still getting the message from focus showing that I’m not accepting messages at this time. I haven’t gotten a text notification or phone call tone since this awful update was added. How do I fix this?

Feb 13, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Isaac Moralez

Agreed, I may have had expected things to work a bit better transitioning over. Bought a iPad and iPhone. Was going to get a Mac, Watch and few other things but now I’ve put that on hold due to the issues with notifications and cloud hiccups. My notifications are sounding out the skip a few messages then sound out and skip a few more. I don’t wanna be checking my phone constantly to be sure I didn’t miss something important. I’m really new to iOS so I have to ask, Does Apple usually address these things or is it a you have to live with it type of situation?

Nov 19, 2021 4:31 PM in response to Chris Mattia

Ok so I think I found what might be the issue. My Apple ID of what I can figure. I signed out of all my apple devices, iMac and MacBook at work, iPads and on older iPhone. Then Suddenly I get text notifications coming though on my watch. I tuned off my watch to see if they show up on my phone when it’s locked and they did. I signed into an ipad and it worked for awhile then it stopped again. Signed out of the ipad and it worked again. Definitely strange why it suddenly started so that. When I get time I will call and see why it’s doing that especially since it’s worked for years.

Oct 22, 2021 4:43 AM in response to Isaac Moralez

Hello,

Hmm, interesting question. With an Apple watch involved, it might still be trying to send the notification to the watch even though it is turned off.

See these standards steps for no sound and maybe something will fix it:

1. Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.
  2. How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons.
  3. Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.
  5. Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?
  6. Do other sounds work? What about phone calls? 
  7. Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2021 1:11 PM in response to MrBill3

I did try all of those, I thoguht it was the watch itself after I had did an update for it last week. Well I had an old phone and restored to it and it did the same thing with the watch. So I unpaired it and went back to my 12 and didn't pair the watch. Seemed to be working then after 10-20 minutes no notifications at all when the phone screen is locked. Any other app will come through fine just messages won't. Even with my watch paired all apps work fine except messages. So I'm not sure is it the watch also and my phone? I even set the was as new when pairing aswell as an older series 1 and it did it again. Definitely something strange.

Feb 13, 2022 9:35 AM in response to The_Mr_V

They all have issues. Since the first iPhone I’ve never had an issue with any device till this. It’s not really the device it’s iMessages or iCloud. The other day I signed out of my phone. Signed into my iPad worked fine. Signed into the car Mac at work and no notifications on either device like before. Just being on hold for along time is not what I want to do.

No sound notifications for texts on iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.