Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sign out of iCloud. Open Photos to disable iCloud Photos.

I am trying to sign out of an iCloud account but the Photos app is not allowing it to happen. I am on BigSur.

I am going in via System Preferences >Apple ID: iCloud and trying to uncheck "Photos".

Then I get a message saying: "Open Photos to disable iCloud Photo Library

The Photos app was recently updated. Open Photos to update your library before disabling iCloud Photos".

Then I click on "Open Photos...". Photos opens but nothing appears to happen.

This is confirmed by trying to sign out of iCloud again and seeing the same messages.

Things I have tried already with no success:

1. Rebooting machine
  2. Checking for Software Updates
  3. Forced repair of the Photos library (by Command-Option clicking on Photos app)
  4. updated apple pay card.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try next?

Thanks, Ferenc

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 4:44 PM

If I try to sign out in AppleID\Overview, then I receive the below error: ...Open photos.... and after that:

"Your iCloud account could not be removed at this time. Turn off all iCloud services and try again"

Similar questions

2 replies

Cannot sign out of iCloud. Open Photos to disable iCloud Photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.