Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this icon?

The icon in the lower right and the search bar are constantly appearing on my screen and is sometimes blocking items on my screen. How do you turn them off. It is very annoying and I can’t find any information on what they are.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 5:38 PM

You are presumably using an external keyboard with your iPad? If so, the icon at bottom right of the screen allows you to easily expose the on-screen keyboard for input of special characters that cannot be accessed from the physical keyboard (e.g. emoji).

If recollection serves me correctly, the icons can be disabled from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts - set to OFF

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 5:38 PM in response to DougG25

You are presumably using an external keyboard with your iPad? If so, the icon at bottom right of the screen allows you to easily expose the on-screen keyboard for input of special characters that cannot be accessed from the physical keyboard (e.g. emoji).

If recollection serves me correctly, the icons can be disabled from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts - set to OFF

What is this icon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.